salt deficient

Shorter kayak rod handles?

13 posts in this topic

MY regular rods are a pain on a low rider perception......

Any recommended rod for back bay salt and freshwater.   I usually like to cast jigs on the bays 1/2 to 2oz usually.    Freshwater I like spinners, rat-l trpas, small rebel poppers and live bait on split shot....  Alot of the time I/m casting 1/4 to 3/8oz and also use my own jigs out there too.

Probably +/- 100 bucks.  I would like to cut a rod or two as bait fishing / backup.  Any advice on where to find a good assortment or caps after you cut would be great.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:31 AM, salt deficient said:

Alot of the time I/m casting 1/4 to 3/8oz

I recently got a Tidemaster - 6’6”, medium fast. A nice relatively short butt, very comfortable for me. More pricey than you want to pay however.

On 10/18/2019 at 6:31 AM, salt deficient said:

Probably +/- 100 bucks.  I would like to cut a rod or two as bait fishing / backup.  Any advice on where to find a good assortment or caps after you cut would be great.

Mudhole has a good selection of butt caps. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I make my own jigs and noticed barlows has a few 3/4 and 1" caps for sale from fuji.

Anyone make a specific model number for the st croix triumph rod.  I sold my only st croix rod, a 1pc 10ft when I moved out of LI and up to the catskills.

That battalion looks pretty decent.   I am ok with a 1pc rod since I am dragging something 12ft long anyways.   I usually bring tsunami 70/30 split 9ft surf rods with me in the little car anyways.

I am a bit hooked on spinfisher SSV4500 reels and shimano sahara 2500 for freshwater.  Will likely end up with those.  14lb fireline on the 4500 and 8lb trilene on the sahara.  I do have a pair of SSV3500's with 10lb suffix that are lost souls looking for a good purpose.......  Can swap out to the fireline or maybe 20lb suffix.

Edited by salt deficient

St Croix came out with a rod targeting kayaker. "Mojo Yak." I haven't tried it yet but I've been considering it. 160 bucks. 

ive cut rod butts on tsunami rods, its a really simple project then add some counter weights and glue a new butt on - ebay or mudhole depending on how much you are buying shipping costs could be pricey. 

i would never cut a st croix, you guys are nuts to even consider that lol

Edited by gobigblue

2 hours ago, gobigblue said:

ive cut rod butts on tsunami rods, its a really simple project then add some counter weights and glue a new butt on - ebay or mudhole depending on how much you are buying shipping costs could be pricey. 

i would never cut a st croix, you guys are nuts to even consider that lol

I cut a St. Croix Avid. It was an 8' surf rod with cork tape. I took 6" off the butt, glued a new end cap and ten wrapped it with Winn Grips tape. Perfect!

Have you seen the Paco kayak rods from Lamiglas? The graphite full grips make rod holder and rocket launcher removal a breeze, they make one for every situation. Like handles can be slid over modified grips from other builders  to get the same benefit.

Edited by spoonplugger1

I use a 7' inexpensive Penn spinning rod (60.00 ish) that works metal lips, spooks, jigs, swimbaits etc, up to 3 oz. with ease. Any decent quality fresh water bass rod 6'6"-7' medium/medium heavy action(as long as the handle is short) would probably suffice. And if you pair it with a SlammerIII 3500, you'll have a combo that wont break the bank. Flippin stiks work well, but you'll probably have to shorten the handle a bit. I target striped bass in RI but will try fluke/sea bass next season.