Last_Cast

Which sub $300 reel would you pair with 9'6" Tsunami Airwave Elite rod?

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Hi SOL,

I recently purchased the 9'6" version of the Airwave Elite and I'm looking for your recommendation on a reel for this rod. I'll be fishing this rod in the NJ surf and jetties for blues and stripers, and anticipate getting splashed occasionally. I fish hard, but always rinse my reels after fishing saltwater and spray with Ballistol every few sessions. I also break down and clean my surf reels when necessary. I pretty much fish Penn reels out of habit (and hometown loyalty), but I'm open to any suggestions. My thoughts were:

Penn Spinfisher VI (4500BLS or 5500?)

Penn Slammer 3 5500

Shimano Stradic FL (never fished a Shimano, so I'm not sure about their sizing compared to Penn)

Daiwa BG or Saltist (I fish a BG one on my fluke rod. Love the smoothness and light weight, but not so confident in it's durability)

Tsunami Evict??

Any insight would be welcome!

I'd go with the Penn as well.

I love Shimano for my inshore set ups but I won't even Wade a flat with my stradic let alone the surf.

As far as spinfisher vs slammer I'm not sure which reel is sealed better, but I just bought a spinfisher VI 5500 2 weeks ago and I must say; it I a beautiful reel even at that price point. Pretty dang smooth feels durable and holds a lot of 30 lb braid. 

I'll report back when I get a fish on it though

1 min ago, hobobob said:

shimano saragosa 6000

You don't think that reel is too big for that rod? How does a Shimano 6000 compare in size to a Penn 6500? I tried my Penn 6500 Fierce II on there just for size/weight, and it felt like way too much reel for that rod. Granted, the Saragosa is a significantly lighter reel..

19 mins ago, LockedDrag said:

go to the store and try on reels. If you don’t absolutely love the feel at the store you won’t like fishing with the combo 

You're right, that's definitely the preferred route, but I'm also sort of looking to score a great deal online, which may limit my ability to try the reel before buying.

1 min ago, Last_Cast said:

You don't think that reel is too big for that rod? How does a Shimano 6000 compare in size to a Penn 6500? I tried my Penn 6500 Fierce II on there just for size/weight, and it felt like way too much reel for that rod. Granted, the Saragosa is a significantly lighter reel..

i have the same  rod and had the gosa 6000  its will balance well i now used a shimano ultegra 5500 long cast 

3 mins ago, Last_Cast said:

You're right, that's definitely the preferred route, but I'm also sort of looking to score a great deal online, which may limit my ability to try the reel before buying.

What I do is pair it at a shop and if I like it, I go online and score a deal lol 

11 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

Saragosa or slammer for me. I like the customer service from shimano, can't speak for penn because I only have 1 penn reel

Being in the Philadelphia area, I have good access to Penn spare parts and service, and I'm comfortable working on Penn reels. It seems like Penn Spinfisher VI and Shimano Saragosa 6000 are the favorites thus far..

Does anyone out there have this rod paired with the Spinfisher VI? If so, which size? I'd think the 5500 would be the best fit, but I'd also love to have a bailess reel on this rod if at all possible. I really wish Penn had the Spinfisher 5500 in bailess...

42 mins ago, hobobob said:

shimano saragosa 6000

I have the 9’6” and have a gosa 5000 on it, same body, lower capacity spool. Good balance with that rod. 

On an Airwave Elite the Daiwa BG is the best bang for the buck; keep it rinsed, properly lubed and it should serve you just fine.  Alan Hawk did a review on it back when it first came out and thought it was a solid reel; lot of guys use them and seem very satisfied.