SurfFishDan

Filling a spool with braid - the most efficient way ?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Hi,

Filling up a spinning reel spool with braided line. Something that I think I could improve. What is the best way have as much line as you can get and as tight as possible on the spool?

Is it better to spool it by reeling the line with the reel or try and optimize the line lay by having the spool rotating with some tool (like a drill) and lay the line along the spool with your own hands like at the shops?

2 years ago, I bought an Ecooda portable Spooler thing (Piscifun also sells it) I really like that the spool spins as the line goes on the reel. Some people wont agree but I think this might be a good thing because it eliminates (completly?) line twist that I frequently experienced before (when leaving the spool on the ground with the label facing up). With this gadget, the thing is that you are limited on the actual tension you can put so the line feels tight but could be tighter. You are also spinning the reel handle and using the gears, so how much pressure can you actually put...

I will share this: Using the Ecooda spooler, I spooled my Penn Clash 6000 with 30lbs Kastking Mega 8 braid. All the way to the last ''Line capacity ring''... It seemed like it was tight enough and would not dig in.

The line spool was 547yds, but there is no way I fitted the 490yds of 30lbs braid that Penn states will fit this particular reel.

Then I go to Cabo, hook into multiple big fish from the beach en enjoy the longest runs I ever heard on my reel. Alot of line come out...cast + fish run = >200-250yds? Anyway, this line goes back on the reel with all the pressure of these fish. After my trip I realized that my line is much closer to the middle ''Line capacity ring'' than the last one... And now the line is VERY tight on the spool. Looks like I could fit 100yds or so of more braid...

Now I'm wondering if I should fill it more with the rest of my spool making a connection double uni-knot (10 wraps each side) or will I whish I didn't when a big fish make a long run with15lbs-20lbs of drag on that knot. (I will prbably make another topic about braid to braid connection knots and purposes)

So...

Should we over fill it a bit at the beginning? We all know that Penn Spinners don't like being overfilled, so if I'm going to loose 50-70yds on braid from windknot....

Should I wet the spool? ? ?

I'd like to here some ideas. thanks!

Posted (edited) · Report post

I just put the spool on the floor, put the line under tension and reel her in......................It's easy.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Posted (edited) · Report post

I put the line spool on a dowel and run the line through the middle of the big heavy textbook weighted with a brick then just reel it in.  Also use 12lb mono backing on most of my reels. 

Edited by sbcbmx112

I havent had a problem with this method but a good ol pencil through the spool and your toes holding the pencils and put tension on the spool with toes and crank lol

25 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

I havent had a problem with this method but a good ol pencil through the spool and your toes holding the pencils and put tension on the spool with toes and crank lol

God I'm glad someone else will own up to that!

10 hours ago, SurfFishDan said:

Then I go to Cabo, hook into multiple big fish from the beach en enjoy the longest runs I ever heard on my reel. Alot of line come out...cast + fish run = >200-250yds? Anyway, this line goes back on the reel with all the pressure of these fish. After my trip I realized that my line is much closer to the middle ''Line capacity ring'' than the last one... And now the line is VERY tight on the spool. Looks like I could fit 100yds or so of more braid...

What is not often mentioned, it is possible to spool your line with too much tension IMO.  The OP mentioned the appearance of being able to add a significant amount of additional line after fighting several long running, hard pulling fish.  This would be a mistake IMO, imagine adding additional line to max capacity, the next hard fighting long running fish that comes unbuttoned at the end of the long run will cause headaches for you.  You would then be respooling all that line at normal lure retrieval tension or the best tension you can make by hand, thus resulting a a significant overspooling of line. this most likely will require trimming line off to restore proper casting ability. I never spool my line on with more than a few pounds of pressure.  I have used all the above suggestion for adding tension and most work satisfactory without issues.  Keep in mind, it is impossible to prevent line twist with spinning reels and braid is much more forgiving of line twist than mono is. 

I use the spool/pencil/toes to wind from the factory spool onto this huge, cheap disc drag fly reel that I mount to the butt section of any rod that’s at hand. Then I set the rod and fly reel upright and clamp it so it won’t move and reel the line onto the reel I want to fill. I can set the drag on the fly reel to provide just the right tension.  Dunno about efficiency but it makes for a nice spool fill.