buddha162

I am Addicted to Bronze

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Scooby should put you on some river bronze. River smallie is lake smallie on steroid. 

 

That one came right in, the other dozen fought like demons...i do need to tangle with a river smallie though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hobobob said:

Scooby should put you on some river bronze. River smallie is lake smallie on steroid. 

River fish are hands down stronger then the same size fish in stillwater.  Love river smallies, if they don’t smash the bait the first time they’ll hit it at least a couple times.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ne_dan said:

River fish are hands down stronger then the same size fish in stillwater.  Love river smallies, if they don’t smash the bait the first time they’ll hit it at least a couple times.  

 

10 hours ago, hobobob said:

Scooby should put you on some river bronze. River smallie is lake smallie on steroid. 

 

Scoob is a river specialist...I only manage to catch dinks in rivers. This late Summer/Fall lake pattern took me awhile to dial in, but I've been averaging 6-8 fish over 18" a trip, something I can never replicate in moving water. I'm not much of a hiker/wader/explorer either lol.  

 

What I love about smallies is the varied personalities of each individual fish. Some are jumpers, some are diggers. This one wasn't even 19" and fought me to a standstill...granted I'm using 5lb floro leader but I've landed fish to 20.5" in half the time. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My theory is the jumpers are males, the pullers are female.  No scientific proof, but quite easily seen when you target them during the prespawn in early spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, hobobob said:

My theory is the jumpers are males, the pullers are female.  No scientific proof, but quite easily seen when you target them during the prespawn in early spring.

 

Interesting. How do you tell the difference between male and female? I've always assumed anything 18"+ and fat are female...esp for largemouth during prespawn, but all the smallies I caught back in April/May were footballs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know how one nesting site has like quite a few smaller males and one bigger female? You have to sort through the smaller males to get to that one large female.  Every time you hook a smaller male, it's instantly airborne, tailwalk, etc.  When you finally hook that larger female , it will try to pull drag and run into deeper water.  This goes the same for large mouth. Just my observation, no scientific proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, hobobob said:

You know how one nesting site has like quite a few smaller males and one bigger female? You have to sort through the smaller males to get to that one large female.  Every time you hook a smaller male, it's instantly airborne, tailwalk, etc.  When you finally hook that larger female , it will try to pull drag and run into deeper water.  This goes the same for large mouth. Just my observation, no scientific proof.

 

Ah gotcha...I've never bed fished but I can picture what you're saying. Once they bed down I'm off to make a few fluke videos...then I come back post-spawn and all my bass are skinny, very sad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

River smallies rule!  Granted Ive never lake fished for them down here, but they are an absolute blast in the rivers.  Even a 10" fish will give you fits.  Haven't caught any true 20" giants yet, but I have a couple 15-17" fish just this week, and they hit like they are pissed off at the world.  Lots of fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ne_dan said:

River fish are hands down stronger then the same size fish in stillwater.  Love river smallies, if they don’t smash the bait the first time they’ll hit it at least a couple times.  

Can confirm. This one tried to wrench the rod from my hands. Would have gone on runs if my drag weren't so tight. Jumped twice well clear a foot out of the water each time. 17'' and very thick. 

IMG_20191013_141146334_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience a two pound river smallmouth can fight twice as hard as a four pound stillwater largemouth. And they don’t quit thrashing till you’ve released them. Some of the toughest smallmouth I’ve ever caught where taken from fast water rapids in big rivers last like the one in my avatar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 mins ago, RI: best part of CT said:

In my experience a two pound river smallmouth can fight twice as hard as a four pound stillwater largemouth. And they don’t quit thrashing till you’ve released them. Some of the toughest smallmouth I’ve ever caught where taken from fast water rapids in big rivers last like the one in my avatar.

 

I love everyone's devotion to this superior race of river smallmouth. I've caught 2 lb smallies in rivers...they fight like 2lb smallies. When they run down current and flatten out against it...sure, they do feel heavier. So will any fish in current. 

 

No two smallies fight the same. In one lake they mostly thrash and play at the surface. In another they tend to dig, coming up for air once or twice. But the behavior of individual fish overshadow any general trend. I love them all...and if BIG river smallies fight twice as hard as their stillwater brethren, well it's something to look forward to if/when I devote a season to river fishing. 

 

Judging by my breathing in these clips...a 4+ river bronzeback might just kill me :) 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small mouth bass make largemouth bass look weak by comparison.

I love their fight right up to the shore/kayak. Very little bites and fights like a smallie.

 

I don't believe there is any specific science related to diggers vs. jumpers, except maybe what there is below the water.

If there is lots of weeds, they may jump more, and when they're over rock piles, they dive more. Not stating any facts, just speculating.....

 

In any case, they are one of my favorite fish to target....except they aren't found in many waters in eastern MA.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.