Captain Ahab

To sell or not to sell

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

So the VS thread got me thinking.  If the bass collapse i am stuck with lots of high end gear that will have an even more limited market.  And i do enough trips for little or nothing bass fishing already.

Has the gear crash begun? 

I don’t think that Striped Bass are the only near shore predators.  Maybe in your area but certainly not all over the country or around the globe.  I don’t think the bottom will fall out.  

25 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

So the VS thread got me thinking.  If the bass collapse i am stuck with lots of high end gear that will have an even more limited market.  And i do enough trips for little or nothing bass fishing already.

I think it's just starting. I have probably unloaded 50% of my stuff(plugs) over the last 3-4 years or so. Some of those funds went right back into different tackle for bass. Some of it went elsewhere. I'm in the process of unloading more. The cuts this time will go deeper. One VS will go. Some bags will also go. Not sure about rods yet. More plugs are absolutely going. I have too much crap sitting there that doesn't get used. This tackle sale will go to fund new endeavors into freshwater fishing and fly fishing. 

IMHO, we're going to see the crappy fishing start to accelerate in the next year or so. Once the easy fishing of the canal dries up there's going to be a lot of unused tackle sitting around doing nothing. 

I hate to say it but bass are toast and we are watching the next crash in real time.

21 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

I don’t think that Striped Bass are the only near shore predators.  Maybe in your area but certainly not all over the country or around the globe.  I don’t think the bottom will fall out.  

No there are other species to fish for.  But most of those do not require bass size surf gear.  

My concern is if i do not sell now there will not be a market later

40 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

I've been thinning out the herd for several years now and I still have more to go.  I also cut my fishing related expenditures significantly.  I can't justify spending X amount of dollars when the fishery is in the crapper. 

2 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Have prices gone down yet is there a trend towards the gear devaluing 

I think so. I’ve sold things in the past for much better prices than current. I’ve tried moving some things with little interest, the type of stuff that would have gone quick a year or two ago. 

4 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I think so. I’ve sold things in the past for much better prices than current. I’ve tried moving some things with little interest, the type of stuff that would have gone quick a year or two ago. 

Although I agree, I would also like to add that time of year is important. The fall and spring are likely not the best time to sell. People are fishing and spending money that way. During the winter, people are thinking about fishing and buying “things” on impulse. Just my 2 cents.

Gear is still holding a value, plugs on the other hand have dropped in value significantly.  I moved about 25% of my plug inventory and plan to continue doing so retaining what I know catches while unloading the plugs that caught me instead. 

12 mins ago, Matt Szwagulinski said:

Although I agree, I would also like to add that time of year is important. The fall and spring are likely not the best time to sell. People are fishing and spending money that way. During the winter, people are thinking about fishing and buying “things” on impulse. Just my 2 cents.

Absolutely agree. I went to several shows last winter, saw the new shiny wood and spent way too much much. Out of all of last winters purchases only 3 or plugs have seen the water and only. 1 or 2 have caught. I have to stop that shot going forward. 

I have 2 vs 200 and 2 zb 25/27. At least one vs is going. Honestly, they both should go. The stuff just doesn’t get used any more, at least not enough to justify its existence. 

Yes striper crash started 10yra ago in VA and is hard to sell any striper tackle down here.reels are  not to much an issue but you don't see vs or zee down  or big spinners here like y'all up there so that market was always a hard sell unless I sold my gear on this site or up north.  

It's still astonishing that the recreational fishing lobbiests will argue that regulations kill tackle/boating/fishing businesses. Lack of fish, caused by their fighting fishing regulations, kills tackle/boating/fishing businesses. Nobody sells their gear because the ocean is full of fish they can only keep one or two of - everyone sells their gear when there are no more fish, regardless of how many you could keep if they existed.

TimS

22 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

Well said Tim.  My gear is not about keeping fish just catching.

Hard to justify using this gear to catch schoolies and quality fish less and less.

Sad

Yup. I’m skiing dinks across the surface   Very challenging and rewarding!