Malsow

New Bridges Proposal

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone else attend the hearing at BHS last night? I completely understand the need for the bridge but I will say I feel for those who will lose their homes as the project unfolds.

Edited by Malsow
Bridges not bridge

Did not attend the meeting, but I see that at least one home,  that is certainly in "harms way", was just listed for sale.

No doubt others will follow as more details emerge.

Anther massive pork barrel project by our federal government...…………...are they really needed?????????? are the present bridges in that much disrepair (they are rated at 16 tons per axle)?????  Would connecting roads and inferstructue be more cost effective making each bridge four lanes in one direction????????

I just hope that these bridges charge a realistic toll each way so the tax burden falls more on the users than the taxpayers throughout the country...…….

They put up the numbers over 20 years and new bridges were suggested to be cost efficient. I was concerned that the room was pretty empty. Seems there wasn't much notice and this project will have a pretty big impact on the town. Bourne Scenic Park will no longer exist as it does today.

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

Anther massive pork barrel project by our federal government...…………...are they really needed?????????? are the present bridges in that much disrepair (they are rated at 16 tons per axle)?????  Would connecting roads and inferstructue be more cost effective making each bridge four lanes in one direction????????

I just hope that these bridges charge a realistic toll each way so the tax burden falls more on the users than the taxpayers throughout the country...…….

The bridge is 85 years old, and as MA is one of 6 states that actually pay more in Federal Tax Dollars than we receive back, i am 10000% behind building new bridges with federal money. It will put local guys to work, and help mitigate an issue that we have all been affected by.

There should definitely not be a toll on this bridge, because as mentioned above, MA pays way more Fed taxes than we get back. I would much rather spend our own money here, than keep sending it to West Virginia and Mississippi. 

EDIT: MA is one of TEN states, not six, who give more in federal dollars than they receive back. 

Edited by Topwatercowboy
correcting incorrect statistic.

Were exact plans set? Would Bourne scenic cease to exist or just be chopped down in size? Also how do these things work if they force homeowners out do they at least have to pay market value for the land? Though I would want more for being forced out of my home.

Edited by CcCstriper89

Exact plans were not set. There will be a design phase and during that phase the plan on how to move forward will be determined. 

The hearing the other night was really to explain how and why the plan for new bridges was made. They presented a couple ideas in the bridge design. 

As for as Bourne Scenic park goes, I'm not sure how their campground in its entirety will be effected but it will become a much different place. The plans indicate a bridge will be placed on one of the sides of the existing bridge. The media had earlier indicated it would be on the East side of the Bourne bridge but that was not said the other night. 

As far as compensation for homeowners. The amounts were not revealed. Obviously business owners will also be impacted. 

Edited by Malsow
Typo

Owners are entitled to "just compensation" for their properties/businesses.  Sadly, from the owners perspective, it will never be enough.  

Edited by Joe G

On 10/17/2019 at 10:45 AM, Malsow said:

They put up the numbers over 20 years and new bridges were suggested to be cost efficient. I was concerned that the room was pretty empty. Seems there wasn't much notice and this project will have a pretty big impact on the town. Bourne Scenic Park will no longer exist as it does today.

I wouldn't have much faith in their cost efficiency projections. 

Screenshot_20191029-092016_Samsung Internet.jpg

35 mins ago, alpha baiter said:

I wouldn't have much faith in their cost efficiency projections. 

Screenshot_20191029-092016_Samsung Internet.jpg

FWIW, same issues in the neighboring states to your south. 

On 10/17/2019 at 9:58 AM, b-ware said:

This is INFRASTRUCTURE ... the cost of infrastructure should be part of everyone's burden. The concept of Use Taxes has become ridiculous IMO. Like schools ... education of our youth is a principle of our society. Just because you may not choose to use the school, or you no longer have children attending doesn't mean you no longer have an obligation to maintain this fundamental service. It benefits society, and therefore it benefits you.

49 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

This is INFRASTRUCTURE ... the cost of infrastructure should be part of everyone's burden. The concept of Use Taxes has become ridiculous IMO. Like schools ... education of our youth is a principle of our society. Just because you may not choose to use the school, or you no longer have children attending doesn't mean you no longer have an obligation to maintain this fundamental service. It benefits society, and therefore it benefits you.

This is not needed INFRASTRUCTURE...…..  you want to spend money on infrastructure put in a waste treatment system that serves all of Cape Cod and stop the polloution, or how about cleaning up the drinking water problem there or the nitrogen runoff from the golf courses and mega mansions...……..  Those bridges serve 250 thousand Cape residents and a declining number of tourists.  Take time and look at things realistically.  I agree with you on schools and education, to a point, I am all in for the best education money can by BUT why are the tax payers required to pay for sports, non educational class trips, and many other frivolous "education" needs?????????????????

1 hour ago, b-ware said:

This is not needed INFRASTRUCTURE...…..  you want to spend money on infrastructure put in a waste treatment system that serves all of Cape Cod and stop the polloution, or how about cleaning up the drinking water problem there or the nitrogen runoff from the golf courses and mega mansions...……..  Those bridges serve 250 thousand Cape residents and a declining number of tourists.  Take time and look at things realistically.  I agree with you on schools and education, to a point, I am all in for the best education money can by BUT why are the tax payers required to pay for sports, non educational class trips, and many other frivolous "education" needs?????????????????

I would argue a bridge is needed infrastructure. It is needed for residents to travel to and from the Cape. In an emergency a new bridge would better allow residents to leave the Cape. The current bridge is obsolete. I'm not thrilled with how it will impact the areas nearby but it is necessary. 

School trips and sports are offered at the cost of the parent. Along with bus passes. Public school is still an expense for parents beyond what the tax payer provides for. 

Edited by Malsow
Added to statement