cashews121

Rat-L-Traps

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So I was going through some stuff and I came across some 3/4oz. Bill Lewis Traps I picked up at a flea market. Anyway..they  of course,do not come with great hooks. I am just wondering if I replace them with VMC 9626 PS,,,will it alter the action much? Thoughts?

2 hours ago, cashews121 said:

So I was going through some stuff and I came across some 3/4oz. Bill Lewis Traps I picked up at a flea market. Anyway..they  of course,do not come with great hooks. I am just wondering if I replace them with VMC 9626 PS,,,will it alter the action much? Thoughts?

What size is that?

I put a 3/0 vmc hook on the rear of 3 of my 3/4oz ratltraps, and I've only been out on 3 trips with them...so far it doesn't seem to affect action much, if at all. 

5 hours ago, yakscientist said:

I put a 3/0 vmc hook on the rear of 3 of my 3/4oz ratltraps, and I've only been out on 3 trips with them...so far it doesn't seem to affect action much, if at all. 

The 9626 Permasteels,,or a different VMC?

1 hour ago, cashews121 said:

The 9626 Permasteels,,or a different VMC?

I'll have to look, I know they're the black nickel color 1x single replacement hooks. Honestly for the 3/4oz, the 2/0 might be a better size but I don't think the 3/0 are too big, but right on the cusp. I also replaced some of the rear trebles on my daiwa sp minnows with the owner 3/0 Zo wire replacement hooks. 

3 hours ago, yakscientist said:

I'll have to look, I know they're the black nickel color 1x single replacement hooks. Honestly for the 3/4oz, the 2/0 might be a better size but I don't think the 3/0 are too big, but right on the cusp. I also replaced some of the rear trebles on my daiwa sp minnows with the owner 3/0 Zo wire replacement hooks. 

Not the 9626 if they are black nickel...

17 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

It doesn’t alter the action, with heavier Vmc hooks. There are far more important things to worry about lol.

Could always consider the Mustad KVD triple grip hooks. Not exactly a saltwater hook but i’ve used them on my plugs and landed good fish

9 hours ago, LockedDrag said:

Could always consider the Mustad KVD triple grip hooks. Not exactly a saltwater hook but i’ve used them on my plugs and landed good fish

To each their own. Personally I have learned some hard lessons using freshwater hooks. 

1 hour ago, fvgourami3 said:

To each their own. Personally I have learned some hard lessons using freshwater hooks. 

Me too. Bronze stock hooks on my spook bent right away when a 30lber slapped it into the air lmao