ASrod

Korkers Dark Horse

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I read a lot of posts saying that they’re meant for freshwater... found a good deal on them and just wondering how will they hold up in saltwater or if I’m better off with the greenback or buckskin?

I have a pair on the way but have not used them yet.  I think the issue people are concerned with is the Boa system. People report having problems with the mechanism jamming due to sand.  Not sure if that has been resolved or not.  The reports I've read in the past were for another brand but the closure system was the same.  Personally I would opt for traditional laces.  That is what I use in saltwater (Wraptrs).  I will save the Dark Horse for wading streams.  Either way you are getting the same bottoms.....

I had the white horse's, which are very similar. The boa system plain out sucked for any sandy beach. Always jammed. Got stuck in them once, that was fun. 

Currently using the buckskins and I have absolutely no issues with them. The laces haven't untied ever, plus ankle covers from the waders help. My only gripe however is if you're fishing IN the surf, a ball of sand can and always will develop under your feet which is uncomfortable. Otherwise, I love them.

I have the white horse, got them cheap. I use them 50/50 salt and fresh. The Boa closure can be a b*tch to release. Haven't had any other issues, but I feel like it's just a matter of time. Would much prefer regular laces.

58 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

i got the greenbacks. its doing well so far, next up on the list is the studded soles though

Are the greenbacks good enough that the buckskins wouldn’t be necessary?

11 hours ago, ASrod said:

Are the greenbacks good enough that the buckskins wouldn’t be necessary?

ive used them on sandy beaches mostly but when in rocky waters I think it’ll wear very fast. 

I have the KGB's.  I love the changeable sole and they build the exterior of the boot very well.....but... one of the speed buckles rotted away because of the salt and the interior of the boot is hardly robust.  All the cushioning is coming out due to the interior of the boot ripping.  I seem to get two to three years out of boots.  My waders last longer.

I have a pair of Redside's which lots of miles and hours in them.  I finally retired them this fall but they held up well on on rocky surfaces.  My biggest concern with the lower end boots is foot/ankle support.  I would go to a store and try them on and pick from that experience.   The difference in cost from the Greenbacks to the highest end lace up boot is only $50.  I think you will find that it is money well spent.  Better yet if you can find a left over pair of Wraptr I would go that route.  I just purchased a pair for $160.  No matter what the available soles are the same and the included soles are the same.

2 hours ago, kombi_rs said:

ive used them on sandy beaches mostly but when in rocky waters I think it’ll wear very fast. 

I ended up ordering some Buckskins. My friends all had good feedback over the greenback so we’ll see how it goes.

I have the buckskins, the studded soles that come with them hold up pretty good on jetties, should still get a better pair of soles.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve had the greenback, the redside, and now the buckskins. 

I don’t like how the redsides secured with a drawstring, gave them to a buddy.

The greenbacks lasted me a year I think. Started falling apart a bit on the heel and a large sand deposit formed on the inside of the tongue. 

I am very optimistic about the buckskins. They seem a bit tougher and have much better ankle support than the other two boots. Just had them up in Montauk and I liked them a lot. 

They will all eventually break in time. 

Edited by dbech

I have the dark horses and the boa system def gets sticky with the sand but i love the boots other than that. It hasn’t given me enough problems to consider a getting different boot. I make sure to rinse them out well after each use And that’s been enough to keep them working well for me