fishweewee

Connecticut rises to Number Two on this list !!!

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

I was saying that Stamford is doing fine even though they have lost lots of jobs that moved to NY.

I never said taxes are rising bc people are moving out.

The GE CFO specifically said that they were moving to Boston bc the didn't want to be in the burbs and it was boring. 

"From the get-go, we knew we wanted to be in a place that was vibrant and entrepreneurial, where you could walk out your door enriched by your environment and your ecosystem,” he said. “I can walk out my door and visit four startups. In Fairfield, I couldn’t even walk out my door and get a sandwich.”

Bornstein, who has been with GE for 28 years, said the company’s new home did not offer the most robust financial assistance package. “Boston didn’t offer the most money, not even close,” he said of the $145 million package offered by the city and state. “There were others that offered more, but we didn’t see the same cultural fit and dynamism that we saw in Boston.”

People complaining about Ct always focus on the taxes without mentioning the pluses with living here.  I just saw we are like 6th in the # of higher degrees.

58 mins ago, PaulS said:

I was saying that Stamford is doing fine even though they have lost lots of jobs that moved to NY.

The GE CFO specifically said that they were moving to Boston bc the didn't want to be in the burbs and it was boring. 

"From the get-go, we knew we wanted to be in a place that was vibrant and entrepreneurial, where you could walk out your door enriched by your environment and your ecosystem,” he said. “I can walk out my door and visit four startups. In Fairfield, I couldn’t even walk out my door and get a sandwich.”

Bornstein, who has been with GE for 28 years, said the company’s new home did not offer the most robust financial assistance package. “Boston didn’t offer the most money, not even close,” he said of the $145 million package offered by the city and state. “There were others that offered more, but we didn’t see the same cultural fit and dynamism that we saw in Boston.”

People complaining about Ct always focus on the taxes without mentioning the pluses with living here.  I just saw we are like 6th in the # of higher degrees.

GE, that company has gone downhill. Just look at it's stock price.

2 hours ago, PaulS said:

Sorry, I was, maybe still am, a little confused as to what your point is. As far as the CFO's statements, I tend to take that with a few large grains of Salt. The company didn't decide to move until after the corporate tax reform, which they lobbied and testified against, was passed into law and signed by the Governor. They even said at the time that the bill was being debated in the legislature that the new bill would cost them millions of dollars. Combine that with the fact that their corporate headquarters in Fairfield was about half empty, due to several years of decentralization efforts and I have a hard time believing that the Board of directors and the CEO would opt to spend millions of dollars to move the company just so the CFO would be closer to the opera house.

That is what they said.  The CEO (Immolt) said something similar.  That he didn't care about being surrounded by trees out in the woods. 

I play basketball with 2 GE ees who worked in the HQ and refused to move to Boston.  They go up about every other 2 week.  I know of 1 other who did the same.

Alexion in New Haven moved bc they hired their top 2 people from Mass and then like 2 months later the HQ got moved to Boston.  Most of the ees are still in NH.

The point is that people (and companies) move for many reasons.