gellfex

Anybody got a carpenter referral for Hudson County NJ?

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I need to tear out a front door on a multifamily where they framed an 80x32 door into a 90x48 opening badly, with like 2x6s with metal capping.  I could do it, but I'm slow, never really done exterior work, and just want to get it done. Anybody work in my area or know somebody with chops who does?

5da686bd77df1_prospectdoor.PNG.fadbb93fd35221e975651d7b0830af8b.PNG

4 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I know someone that might be interested. Where are you exactly?

Jersey City Heights.

I asked my buddy and he said he's not interested, he has too much work on his plate how it is. Sorry. Also sorry for all of the inconvenient construction in the heights. I work for pse&g, we're effin up traffic all over the place. Haha.

1 hour ago, chitala383 said:

I asked my buddy and he said he's not interested, he has too much work on his plate how it is. Sorry. Also sorry for all of the inconvenient construction in the heights. I work for pse&g, we're effin up traffic all over the place. Haha.

If those lazy do-nothing street guys did anything besides lean on a shovel, you wouldn't be apologizing. I blame the street leaders! 

1 hour ago, Scallywag said:

If those lazy do-nothing street guys did anything besides lean on a shovel, you wouldn't be apologizing. I blame the street leaders! 

Hey man, I don't lean on shovels! I'm usually sitting on a bucket. Hahaha :howdy:

On 10/16/2019 at 6:30 PM, chitala383 said:

Eh, my only problem with PSEG is what a**holes they are about changing meters in multi-families. They want to change out a gas meter in my 7 unit, so I say great, change them all. They say, no we have to do them on a schedule, so I say, get back to me when you can do them all and I'll let you in, not until then. It happens that I have a worktable bolted to the wall under the meters in the basement, and I don't want to have to mess with it 7 times, not to mention having to wait around for those bastards 7 times. So it's been years now and every once in a while they get mad and send threatening letters, and I just say to do them all!

I hear ya, I've heard that complaint a few times. That's not my end of the business, that's the service department side. All I can say is that even though it's one building it's still 7 separate accounts. You might have one meter that's 35 years old and another that's 15 years old. The 15 year old one isn't due for a change so there's no work order for it so they won't change it. Just keep doing what you're doing. From my experience the company will eventually cave to the customer.

10 hours ago, chitala383 said:

I hear ya, I've heard that complaint a few times. That's not my end of the business, that's the service department side. All I can say is that even though it's one building it's still 7 separate accounts. You might have one meter that's 35 years old and another that's 15 years old. The 15 year old one isn't due for a change so there's no work order for it so they won't change it. Just keep doing what you're doing. From my experience the company will eventually cave to the customer.

You're like everyone else... "Not my problem". 

There's so much red tape, it's ridiculous. I've given up on trying to change things. 

2 hours ago, Scallywag said:

You're like everyone else... "Not my problem". 

There's so much red tape, it's ridiculous. I've given up on trying to change things. 

Exactly, I go up to the valve at the head of the service. After that it's service department. I don't install regulators or meters.

So I went with a guy a fellow local landlord I trust recommended. Seems to have done a good job. I decided that for this 3 family plus a studio it was stupid to bother ordering a steel framed door instead of taking an inexpensive, off the shelf, exterior home door from the Depot. The issue I have now is I didn't look closely and see it was drilled for a deadbolt. This door will have an electric strike and no deadbolt. Do you think I should find the correct blind lock hardware to close up the hole, I don't even know what to call it, or fill it with a block of wood and bondo, and just make it go away? The door is just primed anyway and needs to be painted.

5db5b31d91095_prospectfrontdoordone.PNG.f4a29447a9d776248f7b765ca71596ea.PNG
""

13 mins ago, Scallywag said:

I guess you could make a dutchman to fill the hole. I'm sure someone here might have a better idea. 

Haha, I had to google "dutchman"! I'm mostly self taught and don't know these things. My biggest concern is that the door is fiberglass and the material of the filler needs to be similar so that it doesn't crack and show the patch from expansion and contraction. I had that happen on a window stool I patched next to a radiator. The Bondo patch showed clearly after a heating season.

Perhaps PVC "wood" under the bondo, and the bondo should have similar expansion to the fiberglass anyway.

8 mins ago, gellfex said:

Haha, I had to google "dutchman"! I'm mostly self taught and don't know these things. My biggest concern is that the door is fiberglass and the material of the filler needs to be similar so that it doesn't crack and show the patch from expansion and contraction. I had that happen on a window stool I patched next to a radiator. The Bondo patch showed clearly after a heating season.

Perhaps PVC "wood" under the bondo, and the bondo should have similar expansion to the fiberglass anyway.

I'm self taught as well... In carpentry anyway. 

Why not just use a wood dutchman and fiberglass it? It's not hard. There's probably a dummy deadbolt too.