strike master

Live lining spot from shore?

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Sinker slide and about 18” of leader to a 7/0 or 8/0 circle hook. Don’t cast with full force because they have a tendency of coming off the hook due to the softer meat. I’ve been livelining them all year like that with no problems.

4 mins ago, ASrod said:

Sinker slide and about 18” of leader to a 7/0 or 8/0 circle hook. Don’t cast with full force because they have a tendency of coming off the hook due to the softer meat. I’ve been livelining them all year like that with no problems.

Thanks, do you hook them in the mouth or back fin?

The breeches buoy rig. :th:

Cast a heavy sinker as far as you can, by itself (no bait). Then slide the a coastlock snap onto the running line, with about 18 inches of 50-lb. mono leader tied to it, and a hook snelled on the end. When the snap is on the running line, hold the rod as high as you can over your head, and let the snap, and your live bait, slide into the water. 

I first learned about this method in a book by Milt Rosko. For any bait too big to cast, and this absolutely includes live spot, the Breeches Buoy Rig is the way to go. I dig it. :th:

47 mins ago, ASrod said:

Through the back has always been my go-to.

Thanks again, I'll be fishing at night so i'll bring some eels as well. I'm fishing next to a lighted bridge that attracts bait fish.  

1 hour ago, Belmo said:

Cast a heavy sinker as far as you can, by itself (no bait). Then slide the a coastlock snap onto the running line, with about 18 inches of 50-lb. mono leader tied to it, and a hook snelled on the end. When the snap is on the running line, hold the rod as high as you can over your head, and let the snap, and your live bait, slide into the water. 

I first learned about this method in a book by Milt Rosko. For any bait too big to cast, and this absolutely includes live spot, the Breeches Buoy Rig is the way to go. I dig it. :th:

Super cool technique.  I’ve got to give it a try. :th:

21 mins ago, strike master said:

Thanks again, I'll be fishing at night so i'll bring some eels as well. I'm fishing next to a lighted bridge that attracts bait fish.  

What works great under pier lights is hooking it to some sort of bobber like a popping cork or something like that and giving it 12” of slack and the Stripers come up and destroy it. It’s my preferred way to do it when I’m not on a beach.

Heres a look at my setup that I’ve been using too. MH rod, penn 560 slammer, 30lb braid and 60lb mono and an 8/0 Mustad Demon circle hook.

85236B46-F32F-41A6-AA7A-C6CB339A1807.jpeg

34 mins ago, ASrod said:

What works great under pier lights is hooking it to some sort of bobber like a popping cork or something like that and giving it 12” of slack and the Stripers come up and destroy it. It’s my preferred way to do it when I’m not on a beach.

Heres a look at my setup that I’ve been using too. MH rod, penn 560 slammer, 30lb braid and 60lb mono and an 8/0 Mustad Demon circle hook.

I hear guys using eels below floats as well

1 hour ago, strike master said:

I hear guys using eels below floats as well

Never heard about that one, I just don’t know if there are big enough stripers where I am to try that just yet.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, ASrod said:

I couldn't agree more. I do it off the tip of the jetty.

It's hysterical. It works with bergals, killies, snappers.

3 to 5 pound blues are common. :)

You can live line a 1 to 2 pound cocktail blue. Just be

careful of the boat traffic. ;)

Edited by SandSpike1

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/16/2019 at 10:16 AM, Belmo said:

I see this used a lot on piers in VA/NC to target large migratory cobia.  It seems to work great, except the workout from retrieving the anchor at the end of the day

Also, I've seen them run two lines down; the first, a sinking rig that runs all the way down to the anchor and then a second with a float that stays higher up and slightly closer to shore.  For the sunken line, you need to make sure the clip, line, and bait stay above the anchor line or it's likely to make a mess once you hook up.   

Edited by cbinvb
grammar, typos

On 10/16/2019 at 10:16 AM, Belmo said:

Milt was a great guy. Read alot of his books. You don’t hear his name often but he was a great fisherman for sure.