Eeeeels

Retrieve Speeds

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

I have been watching how other guys are retrieving their Lures and it seems to me that 95% burn the lure in and get frustrated.

I think this is one of the big mistakes that guys do is real to fast for striped bass.

If you think you’re going to slow slow it down some more

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less is more most of the time. In fact, I've had a handful of nights where not retrieving the plug at all was the ticket. Cast out, reel in slack, and wait (sometimes minutes of waiting for the bite)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Less is more most of the time. In fact, I've had a handful of nights where not retrieving the plug at all was the ticket. Cast out, reel in slack, and wait (sometimes minutes of waiting for the bite)

Cant get much slower than that..   Was there a strong sweep on those occasions when you were not retrieving your lure?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

15 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

Less is more most of the time. In fact, I've had a handful of nights where not retrieving the plug at all was the ticket. Cast out, reel in slack, and wait (sometimes minutes of waiting for the bite)

A very over looked subject and most important, IMO....It's why I like those twitchbaits so much.....make my cast, create a splash on the water entry and let it sit, then twitch and let it sit, then again... then retrieve it slowly in a walk the dog sequence. usually after the second twitch, it's on.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Cant get much slower than that..   Was there a strong sweep on those occasions when you were not retrieving your lure?   

I've had it happen on multiple occassions around the coast but one spot in particular was the power plant which had some strong currents. The mag darter would sit on the surface in the current (much like rain bait). The strange part was that when I caught on to what was happening I would try to twitch it occassionally to emulate a flickering anchovie, but that would ultimately reset the amount of time i had to wait for a hit.

 

So now, when I know theres fish around but theyre super finicky I will clip on the md, cast out, and dead stick. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

A very over looked subject and most important, IMO....It's why I like those twitchbaits so much.....make my cast, create a splash on the water entry and let it sit, then twitch and let it sit, then again... then retrieve it slowly in a walk the dog sequence. usually after the second twitch, it's on.

See my post above. The fish would ignore the bait for a significant amount of time if I added any sort of movement which was strange at first.

 

To your point, I like to work a pencil popper like you described above. Ever watch a bunker in its final moments? Yea thats where I stole that idea from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yup....float, flick their tail, float and repeat. I use to know some old freshwater bass castchers that employed this technique with their Rapalas on large mouths.....deadly.....as it is on calmer water at dusk or dawn. MD's need current flow to achieve their potential where the TB needs calmer water mostly.....when the hit comes on a floater it's usually deliberate and crushing.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

I've had it happen on multiple occassions around the coast but one spot in particular was the power plant which had some strong currents. The mag darter would sit on the surface in the current (much like rain bait). The strange part was that when I caught on to what was happening I would try to twitch it occassionally to emulate a flickering anchovie, but that would ultimately reset the amount of time i had to wait for a hit.

 

So now, when I know theres fish around but theyre super finicky I will clip on the md, cast out, and dead stick. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt

Ah the old power plant.  

:th:

 

People get pissed when you shine a lite on the water but you can learn a lot.  

Ever watch a spearing? They just sit there.  Not side to side wiggle.  Pop, slurp.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Ah the old power plant.  

:th:

 

People get pissed when you shine a lite on the water but you can learn a lot.  

Ever watch a spearing? They just sit there.  Not side to side wiggle.  Pop, slurp.  

 

 

RIP

.

.

100% agree on shining your light in the water when no ones around or if the guy next to you is an ****

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.