FG Knot problems

Rate this topic

dannyplug1

13 hours ago, oceanspray said:

I tried an FG knot for awhile, and it failed more often that not.  PIA to tie.  Rizzuto Finish?  Melt you mono tag?  Are you kiding?  I've gone back to the Red Philips knot... small, easy to tie, and never fails.  And what's with those long finger nails in the video (guitar player?).

Tied one in daylight in a steady 30mph wing on the rocks...that's when I knew I could seriously tie one. I'll use a GT knot on trolling setups(similar to Red Phillips knot) but for casting, it's either PR, FG, or Crazy Alberto, they cast better through the guides(IMO).

I think the little guy(blueparay) is Thai or something, maybe it a Thia thing, I don't know, but check out his channel, he's amazing. He can make anything out of stuff we throw away.

On 15/10/2019 at 9:18 PM, dannyplug1 said:

I have been using a mono shocker attached to the braid running line with a FG knot.  How long is this type of knot supposed to last?  I cut and retire after every trip.  If the FG not is tied right how long will it last?  I find that my fg comes apart at the end no matter how many times I watch the video I can’t get the end right.  Some times I put a little super glue on my finger and rub it into the end not the whole knot. Mis using the super glue a bad practice and is there a trick to finishing the knot?  I have watched the guy tying the knot on the black jack table about a hundred times and still don’t get it.  Thanks for your help Charlie.

I’ve had this knot hold for entire season, make sure the braid is pulled tight to the leader, when you have finished the weave tie several half hitches and locking knots, not 2 or 3.  The FG knot when tested beat out every other type of connecting knot for strength, when tied correctly nothing compares... try watching a few different videos rather then the same one on how to tie 

I use Albrights to attach my leader.  One thing I add is a small drop of UV epoxy on the knot when I tie them at home prior to an outing.  If the knot lasts the trip and looks ok then I keep using it.

(I let a little epoxy run on the line by the knot to form a smoother bump in the line.  Helps go through the guides better.)

I stopped burning the leader end. The little bulb that I thought would help keep the braid on catches on guides and caused the braid to unravel eventually for me especially with tuan leader (80, 130). I do 4 half hitches and rizutto finish and no burning - tighten the ell out of it with gloves will try the dowels. 

This thread made me want to retie given my leader broke off on some coral and I have an unnecessary blood knot in the run. 

First photo is the knot being removed. Probably three trips old with several hundred casts in it, all with the knot passing through the tip top. Not the longish mono tag has started to fray, which is actually good as it is softer through the guides. 

Second photo it she new knot next to the first one. I lost wrap count so it is a bit longer which is never a problem. Pulled seriously right with duct tape wrapped PVC sections. Given the coloration of this line, it is tough to tell how translucent the braid got but it is about half way down. With 30# test it is difficult to pull tight enough to get the entire knot translucent. And if the knot did not fail given the pressure I applied pulling, it is not going to fail with the rod as a shock absorber. this knot has never failed in actual use with a fish nor pulling to break off if a jig gets caught in reef, which happens more frequently than I care to admit. Usually the clinch or non-slip loop terminal knot will fail first. 

0D370459-E2C0-48E5-8E73-C24EA77E6E8F.jpeg.d7f37d1a946ed8b57557ae14775357f9.jpeg

642B0ABB-C483-4F9D-90C7-784EBE235763.jpeg.80cc7c5eb1160949e25a18aab9575f20.jpeg

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

On 10/17/2019 at 0:01 PM, blacklabnh said:

I stopped burning the leader end. The little bulb that I thought would help keep the braid on catches on guides and caused the braid to unravel eventually for me especially with tuan leader (80, 130). I do 4 half hitches and rizutto finish and no burning - tighten the ell out of it with gloves will try the dowels. 

Hit the braid tag or entire knot with Softex, UV or other glue to lock it in. I prefer Softex because it is pliable when dry.

Then you can leave the braid tag about an 1/8” long without a knot or burning. My braid bulb end is not a problem as my tip guide has a huge ring with a hefty insert. The tag just flow through it. 

Edited by tomkaz

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

This is my current favorite video. He uses a dowel so I think a few here will agree with this one.
My version is close to this but I don't burn the leader with a few other differences.  After the 20+ alternating turns, I hold the knot with a few half hitches.  I cinch down using a 20lb dumbbell for my 20lb braid to get a precise amount of cinching and testing if my knot is strong enough so far. Then, I cut the leader.  I protect the leader end with the rizutto finish. I then proceed with alternating half hitches like the video below.  What happens to me with the rizutto finish from below or other videos is that the leader slips out or just loosens up after a lot of casts so now I use the rizutto finish to protect the leader end instead leaving a piece of leader sticking out.