FG Knot problems

Rate this topic

dannyplug1

7 mins ago, tomkaz said:

If I get cut off in the field, I may retie a quick and dirty FG. But if I am in a hurry or conditions are suboptimal, I just go with short leader (24”) and an Albright until I can tie a new FG in a controlled environment. 

-

Give the Red Philips knot a try, it's a great knot that's easily tied in the conditions I descried, which I fished when I lived in RI.  Shyte, now I couldn't find a boulder field to save my life in FL! - :laugh:  Funny thing is, that's what I miss the most about RI, rocks, lots of open coves full of rocks; makes the fishing better and especially the surfing better!

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." 

All those videos and all those various tricks are all good show but sometimes, dang it, just gotta sit down and create your own unique knot....depending, of course, on fishing style

40lb braid into 200lb braid...knot has seen, oh, about 600lbs of sharks on the beach...still in perfecto shape, re-ties gone forever lol

F94F5269-8770-4AB3-9EFA-2DC0F7BB23A3.jpeg.09926a079f12d8a66b2c8e8ff0bbd085.jpeg

3 mins ago, nalu22 said:

-

Give the Red Philips knot a try, it's a great knot that's easily tied in the conditions I descried, which I fished when I lived in RI.  Shyte, now I couldn't find a boulder field to save my life in FL! - :laugh:  Funny thing is, that's what I miss the most about RI, rocks, lots of open coves full of rocks; makes the fishing better and especially the surfing better!

I had an older man walk up to me on the beach on Sunday. Asked me how we fish without definable structure. I asked and he was an old New England striper fisherman down to visit friends.

I explained that our ocean structure is really just jetties, piers and reefs, no rocks down here because glaciers did not drop rocks here a bazillion years ago. I further explained that the fish are transitory always following the bait. He wanted to know why I was fishing the beach I was and pointed to the dimpled water. I then cast, reeled ten feet and hooked and what was likely my tenth small JC of the day. Stopped counting at 15 but all small, under two pounds, one going closer to four. 

Anyway, I handed the man my rod and told him to reel and stay tight. I have to say he struggled more than I tougher he would/should but he finally got a one pound jack into the wash and I hand lined it in for him. He was amazed that such a small fish could fight so hard. And that was in an 11’ Century rod rated for 2-5oz so no noodle rod. 

I repeated my oft argued point that jacks are 2X stronger than blues and 3x stronger than stripers, pound for pound.

He comment leaving war that they must be fun in a fly rod. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

4 mins ago, zcoker said:

All those videos and all those various tricks are all good show but sometimes, dang it, just gotta sit down and create your own unique knot....depending, of course, on fishing style

40lb braid into 200lb braid...knot has seen, oh, about 600lbs of sharks on the beach...still in perfecto shape, re-ties gone forever lol

You have to show me that one the next time I see you. 

You use a swivel between braid and mono, yes? 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

11 hours ago, RockRonin said:

Do this. This is how to tie an FG Knot with a Rizzuto finish. Practice until you can tie it on a jetty with a 20mph wind. I use 2 alternating half-hitches and a Rizzuto finish. Don't forget to melt your mono tag. 

Briggsy from Morningtide does a good tutorial as well, but this little guy is ridiculously talented.

I wrap my mainline braid around my arm when I don't have line-breakers. Pull TIGHT>2 Alternating Half-hitches>Pull tight>Rizzuto finish>Pull tight>Cut mono tag, then melt it into a nub>Pull TIGHT>Leave about 1/2 inch tag on the braid.

I use the Rizzuto finish as well. However, I do not heat the end of the mono/fluoro. I use 3 half hitches and another Rizzuto after cutting the mono/fluoro. I only change the leader when it gets frayed or damaged.

I like that Rizzuto- I will try it for the next tie instead of the uni finish after I cut the leader tag.  I always melt braid ends when I tie. I wet the knot & use the flame up to my nails. I do this because of a thread many years ago that went into great detail about the braid integrity from either a break off or cutting.

I only use a 5-6" leader and I embraced the video from the fresh water thread on FG's that was explicit on not leaving any tags at all.

I have not had one FG fail fresh or salt. 

Re tie in the field- I use the improved Alberto.

Great info all around. I'll have to shrink wrap a piece of dowel.

ive had one fg fail me on 30pound mono, switched to fluoro and never had one fail me again. i think fluoro is a bit softer thus the braid grab better.

and ive had some practice tying in the rain and wind after breaking the mainline trying to pull the biggest rock of the place i fish, those vmc are pretty stiff for my tastes...
the only thing i find hard in the weather is the rizzuto finish because i use 15 and 20 pound jbraid and its way floppy. unwinding the coils over themselves take some finger dexterity, but take your time and its worth it. ill never tie direct to braid again. dont like the feel, and the place i fish IS where the ice dropped the rocks...and still does in the winter...

My favorite move is cutting the main line instead of the tag end after finishing my knot.

I've had FG's fail, but oddly never when freshly tied.  Most recently it was after landing a couple bluefin early this summer I hung that rod/reel up for a few weeks and took it out for bass without swapping out the leader.  Landed one around 20 lbs, then went to set the hook on another and it slipped.  Not sure how that happened given it had held for bluefin in the 100 lb range.  I'm guessing it lost some integrity going through the guides.

I finish mine with 5 half hitches onto the mono, cut and burn the mono tag end, then 5 more onto the braid.  I'll use superglue on the hitches if i have it laying around.  For 95% of my fishing I go with the simple double-uni and only really only bring out the FG for tuna.  If I get broken off somehow (usually the line hitting the hull of the boat) I'll just switch over to a double uni to save time.

2 hours ago, Recoil Rob said:

I found this method for an FG, takes some practice but is fast, finish up with Rizzuto...

https://youtu.be/2IG8c410uiU

That’s my “on the beach” method when securing the rod and applying pressure is difficult. 

- Victor Davis Hanson 

The key is keeping the wraps really tight right from the beginning ... the braid will 'bite' into the mono reducing the chances of the braid slipping down the mono and thereby loosening ... I finish off with 5 - 8 half hitches over both the mono and braid, cinch hard, then snip off the mono tag end really close ... closing off with a further 5 half hitches   ...    each to their own

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

4 hours ago, Recoil Rob said:

I found this method for an FG, takes some practice but is fast, finish up with Rizzuto...

https://youtu.be/2IG8c410uiU

I use a similar method but between thumb and index finger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJy6aTLO8GQ

Takes a little longer than other knots but worth the benefits for me. no problem in the wind at night after you've done it enough.  

Never failed with 832 to mono but had a few fail with J-braid and other lighter braids to flouro.  I think the braid and leader pairing matters if you don't tie it meticulously - something about the weave, abrasion resistance and bite into leader material.

Best advice I got was to make sure the braid wraps lean back towards your previous wraps.  Scooby has a great demonstration in his FG video.  Sliding the wraps down the leader by pulling the braid back towards the wraps (away from the leader tag) also helps even out and tighten it up.

Edited by Bait Tailer