dannyplug1

FG Knot problems

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

I have been using a mono shocker attached to the braid running line with a FG knot.  How long is this type of knot supposed to last?  I cut and retire after every trip.  If the FG not is tied right how long will it last?  I find that my fg comes apart at the end no matter how many times I watch the video I can’t get the end right.  Some times I put a little super glue on my finger and rub it into the end not the whole knot. Mis using the super glue a bad practice and is there a trick to finishing the knot?  I have watched the guy tying the knot on the black jack table about a hundred times and still don’t get it.  Thanks for your help Charlie.

3 mins ago, dannyplug1 said:

I have been using a mono shocker attached to the braid running line with a FG knot.  How long is this type of knot supposed to last?  I cut and retire after every trip.  If the FG not is tied right how long will it last?  I find that my fg comes apart at the end no matter how many times I watch the video I can’t get the end right.  Some times I put a little super glue on my finger and rub it into the end not the whole knot. Mis using the super glue a bad practice and is there a trick to finishing the knot?  I have watched the guy tying the knot on the black jack table about a hundred times and still don’t get it.  Thanks for your help Charlie.

I do like 4 or 5 half hitches at the end.  I used to have mine come undone when I only did two half hitches.   I still change my leader every trip.  I use mono 

If you haven't already, make some tensioning devices, easiest way being thick wooden dowels. Use these blocks to really pull every hitch or finishing knot really tight, and your FG will last longer. This means you can leave the tag (braid) longer to allow the wraps onto the dowel.

I used to have the same issue when tightening by hand with gloves or using my teeth for the finishing.

2 mins ago, Sir Defyable said:

If you haven't already, make some tensioning devices, easiest way being thick wooden dowels. Use these blocks to really pull every hitch or finishing knot really tight, and your FG will last longer. This means you can leave the tag (braid) longer to allow the wraps onto the dowel.

I used to have the same issue when tightening by hand with gloves or using my teeth for the finishing.

x2

Do this. This is how to tie an FG Knot with a Rizzuto finish. Practice until you can tie it on a jetty with a 20mph wind. I use 2 alternating half-hitches and a Rizzuto finish. Don't forget to melt your mono tag. 

Briggsy from Morningtide does a good tutorial as well, but this little guy is ridiculously talented.

I wrap my mainline braid around my arm when I don't have line-breakers. Pull TIGHT>2 Alternating Half-hitches>Pull tight>Rizzuto finish>Pull tight>Cut mono tag, then melt it into a nub>Pull TIGHT>Leave about 1/2 inch tag on the braid.

1 hour ago, Sir Defyable said:

X3

I have some 1.5" dowels with thick rubber shrink tube over them for tightening knots.

I used to have the same problem too. What I found works best for me is to do 4 or 5 half hitches, tighten them down really well, clip the leader tag end as short as possible, then finish the braid with a 6 turn rizzuto knot.

Posted (edited) · Report post

you really need to cinch it down....if more than 20lb test you need gloves or something else to grip it...otherwise the knot isn't going to seat properly.

Try a PR knot.

I tie my PR a little differently since I hate half hitching.

And find it a little faster.

Instead of stopping the bobbin and starting with half hitches....

I tie one half hitch.....then spin back a quarter inch with the bobbin...then tie 4 half hitches and a rizzuto...done...instead of a crap ton of never ending half hitches.  

Beauty is....For light lines cheap fly tying bobbins out perform expensive PR bobbings or bow serve tools.

And for heavy line...cheap larger fly tying bobbins perform about as well as PR specific bobbins...

Edited by scoobydoo

I have not had an FG knot fail me in over two years and I reel my knot into the guides on every cast and do not retie after every trip. I am most likely to retie due to a cutoff in the braid (coral) or the mono leader has gotten too short.

My most used rig is an 11’ rod with 30# 832 with a long leader of 30# mono. Depending on what fish are around, I might use 18” of 40 or 50# shock or abrasion leader tied to the mono with 5/4 turn blood knot. 

I have used a Rizutto finish since Josh Jorgensen showed it to me two years ago. I have also used Josh's technique of pulling tight with handles until the braid bites into the mono and turns translucent. Watching him tie an FG on 100# braid is almost painful given the amount pull he applies.

I also use Dennis Verveet's tag end system. He’s a global land-based angler with some massive fish taken and he does not trim his tags flush. As with Briggsly he leaves the braid end about a half inch long and flames the tip. Unlike most, Dennis also leaves the mono with a 1/2 to 5/8” tag end, no melting. I have found in practice that long mono tag is much less likely to catch on the tip top when reeling the knot into the guides. This is not important if you use s short leader and your knot never gets reeled in before the next cast.

However, if you prefer to have a long leader, half rod length to as much as rod length plus two wraps of mono on the spool with the lure out the tip, then you are retrieving the knot every cast (like me). The long mono tag nearly never gets hung up on the guides as it acts like a little spring. Also, after some casting, the mono tag will start to fray and that softens its passage through the guides, without affecting the knot's integrity.

As i said, I have not had a FG fail with the mono pulling through the braid nor with fraying. The last thing I do if tying at home is coat the entire knot in Softex. When dried, there is a layer over the knot and the braid holds up better, I think. I tried super glue a couple of times but found it too stiff and "flakey".

Sorry about the long comment. 

Edited by tomkaz

Good luck retying those at 0300 in the wind and rain, on a rock with a good swell running; like TomKaz I bring my knot thru the eyes, my mono leaders were always 6 to 8 feet to start with.

I tried an FG knot for awhile, and it failed more often that not.  PIA to tie.  Rizzuto Finish?  Melt you mono tag?  Are you kiding?  I've gone back to the Red Philips knot... small, easy to tie, and never fails.  And what's with those long finger nails in the video (guitar player?).

1 hour ago, nalu22 said:

Good luck retying those at 0300 in the wind and rain, on a rock with a good swell running; like TomKaz I bring my knot thru the eyes, my mono leaders were always 6 to 8 feet to start with.

If I get cut off in the field, I may retie a quick and dirty FG. But if I am in a hurry or conditions are suboptimal, I just go with short leader (24”) and an Albright until I can tie a new FG in a controlled environment. 

I find the fg a real pia to tie on the beach. I've also tried the Australian Quickie and don't like the many coils of mono...IMO too abrasive to guide inserts while casting....so I'm back to the Alberto....actually I never left.....easy, fast and never had a failure...that's it.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal