Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jimo95

Painting swim shads

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Anyone ever paint/color their swim shads.  I have a bunch of white ones but want to color some of them black/purple.  Anyone ever do anything like this?  If so, what is the best approach?

Sharpie works, but the color eventually bleeds into the plastic - it can have a cool effect, but maybe not the one you originally intended. I drew a red gill on one and the front half turned orange (over weeks).

A lot of soft plastics are painted, especially odd color combinations.  Over time the paint will come off because of the plasticizers in the plastic itself.  

One possible solution is like DaveC said, use Spike It.  It's a dye specifically made for soft plastics but I'm not sure how well it'll work on a "partial" dye job, that is doing just part of the plastic.  It'll probably bleed into areas that you might not want dyed.  If you're doing the whole thing they work well.  Just leave enough time for the dye to dry completely.  If you don't the plastic will be soft and break easily until the dye has cured completely, like an hour or more.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just leave the white ones in a bag with darker color ones for a few months the color will bleed over. It happens with my kids rubber worms for fresh water.

Edited by CKjeep84

23 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Is spike it the dye/dip stuff the freshwater guys use to dip the tails of their worms in to add chartreuse? 

If not i am not sure of the product name.

Yes it is.  Some of the shads and swimbaits I sell I can't get in the colors I want.  That stuff is the answer to the problem.

48 mins ago, GoneCoastal said:

Spike it and sharpies work just fine for me. Usually don't last long enough to see the ill effects. 

A couple well known striper hunters use the sharpies.  They say the same thing.  They don't last long enough to see long term ill effects.