SurfFishDan

Penn Conflict II Long Cast field tests ?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

Stumbled upon a very low priced brand new Penn Conflict II Long Cast 6000 on a well know online shopping platform and bought it in 5 seconds. I've already read alot of mixed reviews on these reels, the whole Conflict II lineup in fact. But I was looking for a light long cast reel with great line capacity and fast line retreive per crank and this seemed to be the winner considering the low price. Don't care if it's not sealed and don't care if it only has 18lbs of drag. I just hope it will lay line correctly and perform great when (if) there is a 40-50'' rooster on the end of the line next time I visit Cabo's beaches.

So I'd like to hear about any of you guys experience with the reel. Things to look out for, particular care... I have other Penn gear so I know they are somehow different than Daiwa and Shimano, but hey... at the price I found them....

I just made a trip to Rhode Island last week and fished my 9' medium Tica UEHA paired with a Spheros SW5000 spooled with 20lbs braid for the first time and wow... that was a good homemade combo. I will pair this 6000 Conflict with a Penn Carnage II 10' MH that I also found on this same shopping platform for a ridiculus low price. I wish YTs Tackle Advisors wouldve talked more about his Penn Spinfisher VI Long Cast and maybe hear his opinion on this Conflict Long Cast if he tried them.

ive seen that deal for around 140cad, but being poor and already having bought 3 daiwas this summer i skipped, but im still interested to hear feedbacks because id really like a long cast reel that don't weight a ton to put on a light surf rod i got. every meters of distance i can get here is great as there's not much slope on my local beach.

and besides, they look great, have a screw onto body handle. curious what scooby has to tell us about thoses.

I meant to respond sooner, but here it is. Yes Jérôme, that is the deal I found, on top of this, the Conflict I received had some scuffs/scratches. It also did not have the plastic wrap around the spool. I suspect it was returned or something... but was not advertised as a used reel! So, since it felt good when spinning the handle and seemed to be mechanically sound, I asked customer service if they had any other options for me before I choose to ask for a replacement. They offered 20% refund. I asked if the warranty still applied for a full year and took it. Looking forward to use it and report. Might not be before I go on some trip this winter.

The spool lip is just about 3"

It's a very big reel, and you can feel the heft. Handle takes some effort to get going, but it's smooth for its size. Line lay is a bit potato chippy but I've had no issues with casting performance. I don't think it casts too much better than a non-long cast but the line capacity is monstrous. Drag is fine.

Shield 5k and shimano 5k for reference 

4B7A6D31-FFDC-4C64-87F2-9D622C118A7E.jpeg

C128EE4C-0AC1-42CC-9CA7-2D1815A9F440.png

Posted (edited) · Report post

That’s huge for a 6k reel.

edit

.....hmmmmmm. Just looked at the specs on the Penn website. Says that the weight is 18.5oz and holds 355yards of 40lb. I wonder what it really weighs?

If the specs are accurate it compares favorably with the ultegra 5500. Overall quality would come into question, however, and that line lay, ouch. 

Edited by Alferd Packer

15 mins ago, Alferd Packer said:

edit

.....hmmmmmm. Just looked at the specs on the Penn website. Says that the weight is 18.5oz and holds 355yards of 40lb. I wonder what it really weighs?

If the specs are accurate it compares favorably with the ultegra 5500. Overall quality would come into question, however, and that line lay, ouch. 

The line lay definitely leaves something to be desired, however the reel is very solid compared to the smaller conflicts which do flex under load. This reel took three bass around 25-30 lb in river current and never really needed to lock the drag up fully, however I don't think it would be ccc approved. A 40# fish would be very excited to know I didn't have a vs250 on that trip

It's no Ultegra. Just a budget LC that wants a piece of the market share. I paid $80 for mine and it cost about $80 in line to spool it up :laugh:

I just bought the 5000 size and used it the first time 2 Saturday’s ago, casts nice and was really smooth and comfortable, can’t tell ya about how it handles fish because there were none after the nor’easter but I like how it works so far.

I have conflict 6000 lc and have nothing but good to say about it,

line lay is as good as anything out there and rate of retrieve is super.

like it better then my ultegra cl4

On 2019-10-21 at 8:31 PM, Alferd Packer said:

edit

It's actually pretty close in size to other Penn 6k reels, with a larger spool and a smaller body. I also have a Fierce II 6000, two Spinfisher V 6500 , a Clash 6000 and the Conflict II 6000LC doesn't feel bigger. It much lighter ! I weighted it without any line and it played between 18.50 and 18.55oz.

On 2019-10-21 at 2:09 PM, jerome gagnon said:

can you measure the spool lip diameter and spool width? trying to figure out where it stands in term of sizing. also let us know how it lays the line ;-)

Yes. Sir Defyable is about right. The spool lip is 2.8'' wide and I measured a diameter of 2.6'' within the ;largest Line Capacity ring. The middle or center of the spool has a diameter of 2''. The height in the spool cavity about 1.35'' (where the line lays), overall it's 2.4'' without the drag knob.

As for the stated line capacity, for 30lbs braid the capacity is 430yds (like the Spinfisher V 6500), compared to 490yds for the Clash 6000 and Fierce II 6000. How much actually goes on there? I don't know.

On 2019-10-21 at 8:54 PM, Sir Defyable said:

It's no Ultegra. Just a budget LC that wants a piece of the market share. I paid $80 for mine and it cost about $80 in line to spool it up :laugh:

Looking forward to see how mine lays the line... From the photos I saw, it looks pretty good to me.

That is a good price that you paid (for the reel)! I still wouldn't call it a budget reel. MSRP is 220$ USD (currently 290$ CND for us). That doesn't sound too budget to me. I also have a Tica Scepter GX. Now this is  a budget long cast surf reel! It works fine, but I see multiple opportunity for failure in the long term if I don't baby it after each trip. Bought it just before a trip to Cabo last June to use as a backup reel to my Clash 6k. The Scepter GX 10k holds a lot (!) of line, retrieves 45'' per crank and has a carbon drag system. That is good characteristics to fish the Mexico Surf. It is very much not sealed so don't drop it in the sand or have it splashed. But it's a good backup long cast surf reel IMO.

12 hours ago, SurfFishDan said:

As for the stated line capacity, for 30lbs braid the capacity is 430yds (like the Spinfisher V 6500), compared to 490yds for the Clash 6000 and Fierce II 6000. How much actually goes on there? I don't know.

I spooled with Berkeley Pro Spec 30lb and got 482 yards on, but it was a bit overspooled. I thought I could get the line to lay tighter but I guess I already put enough mustard on it when I spooled it, that line was not budging. That being said, I stripped at least 30 yards off until the line lay looked castable, it is a Penn after all, so I think a good number to shoot for would be between 430 and 450. I also popped one shim out from the "stock" shimming and it lays a little better that way.

Apologies if I made the reel sound "budget" in a bad way, but specifically for LC reels its on the lower end. I think the compromises you make to purchase this reel are acceptable considering the cost to performance ratio, especially since the retail price is easily double what they are selling for. Features found on the Ultegra platform and the Daiwa SS platform make it hard to justify the retail price tag. You can get a good deal on a Daiwa Tournament ISO around $450, which is priced in the Catalina (non-LC) territory, and you would really need the LC features to justify not going with the Catalina at that price.

3 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

I spooled with Berkeley Pro Spec 30lb and got 482 yards on, but it was a bit overspooled. I thought I could get the line to lay tighter but I guess I already put enough mustard on it when I spooled it, that line was not budging.

Features found on the Ultegra platform and the Daiwa SS platform make it hard to justify the retail price tag.

That is alot of line. Did you have it spooled from a shop with spooler or did you spool it yourself just from reeling it from the reel itself?

Yes... The Ultegra 14000 would be the one I really want but can't find it under 250$ CND + shipping... I really made the move on this Conflict because of the low price on amazon.ca and I already had an eye on it. I did not need it... My girlfriend doesn't even know I have a new reel, which is good. Especially if I complain on the price of organic carrots at the grocery..

3 hours ago, SurfFishDan said:

That is alot of line. Did you have it spooled from a shop with spooler or did you spool it yourself just from reeling it from the reel itself?

Yes... The Ultegra 14000 would be the one I really want but can't find it under 250$ CND + shipping... I really made the move on this Conflict because of the low price on amazon.ca and I already had an eye on it. I did not need it... My girlfriend doesn't even know I have a new reel, which is good. Especially if I complain on the price of organic carrots at the grocery..

I spool it myself with a passive spooling device, cranked down very hard, so its exhausting when there's that much line. Pulling against at least 10# pressure, and the Ugly stik I use for that purpose is pretty much bent in half. I think it took three sessions to get it all on there. I actually broke a brand new NASCI while spooling it on the same device since I put too much pressure on it... This reel actually spun more smoothly after I tortured it a little :) 

Biggest thing is to keep an eye on the shimming early on, rather than having to de-spool and re-spool all over again. I could have done a better job on this reel compared to others that I recently did but its fine for now, I will bring it on the boat and troll 300 yards back and see how it looks when I reel it all back in.