Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinambition

Which Caliber

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Gone twice, once with a borrowed 308 and once with my Noveske 6.8SPC. Can't recall the round for the 308 but I put Hornady 120 gr SST through the AR. Both did the job but I would not want to try the 6.8 at distance with a head-on head shot - not enough confidence it would penetrate. 

41 mins ago, DMacLeod said:

Why is he shooting from inside a cage ?

He didn't want a 10 week old baby pig ripping him apart, that's why. :point:

They are a plague here and hunted generally in heavy cover. We'd hunt them out in the open if we had any "open". A 12ga with slugs and a .45 side arm are pretty much standard since you're on foot and they will rip you a new one. A .44 has a following too. 

What does a .177 pellet weigh?

No doubt a piglet is better for the grill or smoker than a big pig. However, if I were to decide to hunt pigs from a ground blind, I'd want something a lot more potent. Gen-u-wine gunpowder, please .... Although no longer in production, Ruger once made a .44 magnum semi-auto carbine that would probably be perfect. 

On 10/25/2019 at 5:55 AM, Mokes said:

Guys in Texas were using .300 Blackout for a bit, but the rounds were bouncing off their skulls, lol. 

.308 is the way to go if you can. Everyone I know pretty much has an AR10.

Color me skeptical about that. Bouncing off their skulls? Really?

Would not recommend a .223/5.56 for a pig hunt. Did a pig hunt in April. Was a canned hunt. Not "wild" pigs. Regardless.....a few guy had ARs and those pigs absorbed those bullets no problem. 

I'd recommend a rifle that you'd use for deer. 270, 308, 30/06 type caliber. For a bit of a challenge I used a muzzleloader. 250gr bullet behind 100 grains of powder. 30 yard shot. Put one in his neck, dropped him on the spot.  Pig was done but not dead. Had to put a 357 mag bullet into it's brainpan to turn it off completely. 

Tough critters.