Surfrat666

Blowfish (Puffers)

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Any thoughts on why the big resurgence this year?  I hadn't really seen more than a couple a year for ages.  This season, they were everywhere and in a few different sizes.  Saw on multiple occasions cormorants holding them in their beak trying to get them down.

Edited by Surfrat666

25 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Also...is it just me or do they all look ANGRY in that pic  :point:

They look PISSED lmao "cant believe I fell for the old Gulp sandstorm trick again"

Not enough predators.  Why I always had a darter or a bottle plug that was puffer-ish.  Same thing with the shad, they're doing really well, unless a seal shows up.  Most of my sissy stick (fly rod) catches were shad.  But with a light enough rod, they're a hoot to reel in.  Until they really cut back on fish limits, that's what the season's going to be, Robins, puffers and other "apex" bait...

Blowfish have been showing up in Great South Bay for about the last five years.  At first, there were good numbers in the spring--the upper bay off Babylon had a lot of them in May--but they disappeared when the brown tide came in around Memorial Day.

For the last couple of years there was also quite a few being caught in the fall in the lower bay during the fall.  Last year, some of the slower Captree party boats that couldn't get out to the deeper wrecks for sea bass were running blowfish trips to give their customers something to fish for between the close of fluke and when the bass showed up.

This year, we didn't have a bad brown tide.  Whether that impacted the blowfish, I don't know.  But this year's abundance was almost predictable given what we've seen in the recent past.

The key now is to keep them from being overfished; the potters are taking quite a few, without much regard for size.  The issue has come up a couple of times at the Marine Resources Advisory Council meetings, but the DEC has so many issues that they have to work on--bass, fluke, sea bass, etc.--and limited resources, so precautionary regulations for blowfish aren't high on the priority list.

4 hours ago, CWitek said:

The key now is to keep them from being overfished; the potters are taking quite a few, without much regard for size.  The issue has come up a couple of times at the Marine Resources Advisory Council meetings, but the DEC has so many issues that they have to work on--bass, fluke, sea bass, etc.--and limited resources, so precautionary regulations for blowfish aren't high on the priority list.

But it should be before blowfish reach same level as striped bass and blue fish

1 hour ago, Popasilov said:

But it should be before blowfish reach same level as striped bass and blue fish

Yes.  That’s why I think that precautionary refs should be put in—to maintain abundance.