Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jimbass

skukyll river Philadelphia above the tidal section

13 posts in this topic

I just want to put this out there. Does anyone here fish this section of the river? I tried on Saturday but there was a sculling regatta and hard to find a spot to cast my line because is was extremely crowded. One of the members of the rowing association asked me about how was the fishing. I stated that it was the first time this year for me. She then stated that there was a tremendous silt buildup from all the rain the Philadelphia area had in the spring from april to june,then she just wanted to ask if that affected fishing in general. I am just curious if anyone else on this board fishes there

Posted (edited) · Report post

Mike Iaconelli did a whole show on fishing the city section of the Schuylkill river. 

Edited by DaveC
Can't post that picture. People that fish there are not too happy.

That is still tidal where that bass was.

There are big flatheads in the nontidal phila sections.  Lots of channel cats.  And all the normal game fish from muskie to trout.

You gotta go find em.

Only ever fished for carp there and it's loaded with them. Some big fish that will test everything from your hook to the soles of your shoes. 

that is definitely one of the worst spellings of Schuylkill I've ever seen.  :)  That said, i've not fished the area, but I've often thought about it as I can see it from my office.  Too lazy to get a freshwater license I guess.  I've seen bass and stripers come out of the tidal section below the dam.  as fred said, i'm sure you'll catch all the cats and carp you can handle.  

I see people fishing this stretch all the time near walnut and chestnut.  Have only ever seen them pull an occasional dead body out tho

20191016_094223.jpg

I was just trying to find out if anyone currently fishes the non tidal section. Supposedly they raised 4.5 million dollars to dredge the section. I t was suppose to start in August and take around 90 days. When I was there this past weekend it looked very low. Hopefully this rain will improve it

Flatheads, big flatheads I have mainly fished upstream of philly proper tho. The very low water this summer effected the fishing in the river and tributaries. I wish they would redo the dam with a functioning fish ladder at the art museum. They have talked about it for 10 years. Gotta love how college crew teams override migratory fish. What a joke!!

On 10/15/2019 at 11:17 AM, jimbass said:

I just want to put this out there. Does anyone here fish this section of the river? I tried on Saturday but there was a sculling regatta and hard to find a spot to cast my line because is was extremely crowded. One of the members of the rowing association asked me about how was the fishing. I stated that it was the first time this year for me. She then stated that there was a tremendous silt buildup from all the rain the Philadelphia area had in the spring from april to june,then she just wanted to ask if that affected fishing in general. I am just curious if anyone else on this board fishes there

Uh, she didnt really care about silt and fishing.  She was making conversation in an attempt to hit on you.  

I fished there once.  Lots of people fishing, and not one single fish caught in hours.  

Of course, I am sure that not always the case.  

On 10/16/2019 at 5:39 AM, Captain Ahab said:

You gotta go find em.

They sure werent hangin out by the park, nor the boat dock for the regatta things.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve caught sunnies, catfish, LMB, SMB, walleye, Perch, shad, and stripers in there. I used to fish it all the time when I was younger and only had a bike to get around. 

All these pics are in the Skuke from  Norristown down to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The otter was captured by the online camera at the fish ladder years ago. 

The Skuke is alive... VERY alive.  

C28620B2-87AD-48CC-BD77-8527C9232330.jpeg

98F8B690-A3FB-47F7-B1CB-B4FD0FE78E29.jpeg

1F4EB855-30E4-480D-B942-27CFAF61E220.jpeg

E466181F-68A9-4428-9584-308BD45D46C9.jpeg

Edited by D1fishr

9 hours ago, D1fishr said:

I’ve caught sunnies, catfish, LMB, SMB, walleye, Perch, shad, and stripers in there. I used to fish it all the time when I was younger and only had a bike to get around. 

All these pics are in the Skuke from  Norristown down to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. The otter was captured by the online camera at the fish ladder years ago. 

The Skuke is alive... VERY alive.  

C28620B2-87AD-48CC-BD77-8527C9232330.jpeg

98F8B690-A3FB-47F7-B1CB-B4FD0FE78E29.jpeg

1F4EB855-30E4-480D-B942-27CFAF61E220.jpeg

E466181F-68A9-4428-9584-308BD45D46C9.jpeg

Yep I grew up along the river just south of reading. The river is a great fishery. Largest smallmouth I ever caught came out of it. Huge channels and flatheads, muskie's, and big brown trout 10lb.+ its amazing how clean its gotten since the 80's