coastalfreak

Book Recommendations

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

THE INDIFFERENT STARS ABOVE.  An excellent historical rendition of what became known as the Donner Expedition.  Very well documented and goes into such detail as we know what and where their descendants are living and doing now.  Excellent book.  

MAYFLOWER, same-same.  Historically incredible document about the Pilgrims and their establishment of Massachusetts.  Goes in depth into King Phillips war.  Has incredible historical information about the Cape, Islands, and Plymouth - Massachusetts area that - even growing up there - I didn't know.  

Anything by Pat Conroy - I believe him to be an unrecognized genius.  My favorite is probably PRINCE OF TIDES, although I loved THE GREAT SANTINI, and much of his later writings, just before he passed.  

Steinbeck, if you haven't read him.  EAST OF EDEN - brutal.  CANNERY ROW - genius.   GRAPES OF WRATH - 'nuff said.    

1 hour ago, coastalfreak said:

Looking for some good books to read if I can get a break from my classes. Nonfiction, fiction, I don't care. Thoughts greatly appreciated!

Dude, way too broad! List some books you've liked, or subjects you've liked. SF, historical fiction, history, politics, whatever.

Have you read John Skinner's surfcaster's memoir Season on the Edge?

If you like nature stuff:

Fiction: Desert Solitaire

Non-fiction: control of nature, into thin air

Somewhere in the middle: the lost city of z

Any 

All good

Edited by quack

49 mins ago, quack said:

If you like nature stuff:

Fiction: Desert Solitaire

Non-fiction: control of nature, into thin air

Somewhere in the middle: the lost city of z

Any 

All good

I’m reading Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey right now.   It’s not fiction, he writes it about his six month stint as a park ranger back in the ‘60s.  

16 mins ago, JimP said:

I’m reading Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey right now.   It’s not fiction, he writes it about his six month stint as a park ranger back in the ‘60s.  

Been a while.  I read it while camping for a few weeks in the NW (and smoking a bit).  I loved it

For my outdoors selection, I’m trying to finish Muir’s “The story of my childhood and youth” I just haven’t had the time to sit down and get back into it. Great so far. He has a couple other books that are on my list of reads as well as some from Aldo Leopold. I also have the foxfire series to get back into... made it half way through volume 1 and put it down because life got busy. 

In the other pile is “The theory of moral sentiments” by Adam Smith, “the hound of distributism” by a group of sociologists and economists and “a treatise of human nature” by David Hume. 

Anyone read Peterson’s 12 rules? I feel like I’ve watched so many of his YouTube’s that I get the gist, but it’s one I want to check out.