cityevader

Performance-wise, is a one-piece rod inherently superior to a two-piece?

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Due to the natural "break" in stiffness/flex that a two piece rod imparts, does that make it inferior to a one-piece, in terms of action/sensitivity/casting?

Surely a high end two-piece can be better than a low end one-piece...but that's not what I mean.

I’ve found one piece rods to be far superior performance wise. I don’t mess with the super high end stuff tho, so maybe at upper bracket price points this may be different. 

I find joint twist to be an issue on everything but butt over tip 70 30 joints

Even 600$ Daiwa rods twist over time just from casting...let alone working plugs.

The butt over tip Black hole striper Nano will twist as well.  

Some were worse than others but it's something that becomes a nuisance.

I haven't used nearly all the rods out there..but have used a ton.   I think St Croix has the tightest most secure joint in a 2 piece stick.

Enough so that I often had to bag o pea it to get it separated.

Aside from that.......No other real complaints.

I mean theoretically the one piece has one less area of "weakness" because theres no joint. Having said that, my last two rods I purchased were a 10ft and 11ft Genesis by ODM. I have had ZERO twist or separation issues on either, after 4-5 hours of casting and fighting fish. Neither have loosend either. These are 50/50 split. Also I've NEVER cast off the front section of a rod, this should never happen if you know how to properly assemble a two piece rod, and check it once in a while. I've made a habit of marking both halfs to make sure it stays in line.

Tsunami Airwave Elites also, zero twist and zero loosening. 70/30 split. Jigging, popping, pencil popping, getting used heavily. Tons of power, used my 11 footer to catch giant rays, no issues horsing them in. 

I feel like the two pieces of today are as good as you could ever ask them to be. You may lose a bit of sensitivity but I cant feel a difference. The ONLY thing I will say is although I'm never worried about a big fish, heavy current, horsing in a fish with any of these rods, I'd avoid high-sticking like on a rock or jetty. Thats what I have one piece oldschool GSB's for haha.

Same as alot of guys said, 70/30 split but over top joint. I dont have any issue's at all. I've found myself using mine more and leaving the one piece sticks at home. I like the fact that I can stash them in the truck. Performance wise I feel there just as good as my older 1 piece lami's and Loomis 

In absolute agreement with personal preference 

I prefer a parabolic rod - not fast action so the one piece fits me better

Also a 1 piece fits in my SUV perfect 

So no assembly required

I like to say. You say potaaato I say it the right way. Other than fitting in your Acura or whatever what possible advantage could a two piece rod have over the same in one piece?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Forgive me, but to clarify, "butt over tip" means that that handle-end is the wider "socket" that the smaller tip inserts into? 

What makes one or the other way better? 

While looking at rods, i've never seen this mentioned, so how would a shopper know? 

Edited by cityevader

I’m still waiting for my tip section of my old Okuma to wash up lol.   Twist at the joint is annoying but not that big of a deal.  Never had one break at the joint so I guess it’s not a big difference