coastalfreak

What do you prefer: Soft Plastics vs Hard Baits

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

What do you guys prefer? I've heard arguments on both sides that soft plastics are more realistic, yet hard baits are tougher. I know both have their own uses, but do you prefer one over the other?

I appreciate the durability of hard baits and the catch-ability of soft baits. You really have to carry both if you want to be effective under a variety of conditions. Some days one will work and not the other and other days it’s the exact opposite. 

I prefer whichever will be the most productive at the time and agree with valentine. Why limit yourself? 

Which do you prefer... meatloaf, mashed potatoes, or peas? Imagine having all 3 on one plate (gravy too). 

That's what your question reminds me of. I carry way more than a soft plastic or a hardbait. In what scenario would we need to limit ourselves to one offering... get a plug bag, bring it all. No decision needed... Case closed!

I use both but prefer hard. Soft plastics **** up the environment, & last three toothy fish. Everyone has their preferences, I use DOA shrimp for soft baits, everything else is hard. Have about 10 lbs of broken off shrimp I’m hoping i can recycle at some point...

7 mins ago, cashews121 said:

You can’t have a preference,,just the fish can. You need to find out what they want and give it to them.

Nah. You can have preferences and figure out when they work and how to use them. I don’t use bait, ever, still catch my share. Took a while but that’s the fun of it for me. It’s like a chess game

14 mins ago, icarussound said:

I use both but prefer hard. Soft plastics **** up the environment, & last three toothy fish. Everyone has their preferences, I use DOA shrimp for soft baits, everything else is hard. Have about 10 lbs of broken off shrimp I’m hoping i can recycle at some point...

just curious. have a picture?

I like plugs more than plastics, just think they’re cool. I’ve gotta admit it’s an aesthetic thing tho. I just appreciate a nice plug. Definitely have caught more fish on plastics thru the years.

Both have their place. I prefer soft plastics because of their single hook and catching superiority. They pretty much suck for castability when you need to reach out. 

6 mins ago, patabate said:

Both have their place. I prefer soft plastics because of their single hook and catching superiority. They pretty much suck for castability when you need to reach out. 

+1