ksong

Issue of Fuji Torzite K guide

Rate this topic

80 posts in this topic

We need more information Kil. Looks like the titanium guides broke. How did they brake?

They are not strong enough. We plan to make strong polpping rods using Torzite guides to make the rods as light as possible.

We decide not to use Torzite K guides as the guides are not strong enough.

Torzite is the ring. The guide broke which I assume is titanium because of the choice (and price) or ring material. 

I dont know how that guide brakes fishing. I have built 3 surf rods with those guides and they seem just as durable as any other Fuji K guide. 

lt appears the twin footed guides are for baitcasting applications from what l saw after a quick search.  Never built a rod so l'm not sure if that matters. lnteresting that the ceramic material used is ultra fine which is supposed to be better for less abrasion on braid than silicon carbide rings that were previously the industry standard.  Maybe you got a bad batch.:confused:  Best of luck with the fix, 20-30% more for fugi makes me think they should help you out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

I'm guessing the guide bent and then was bent back into shape? 

This would be my guess as well, as I have broke other guides with a frame MOC of Ti.

I don’t believe the Ti guide frames have very good elastic properties... :why:

Assuming they are Ti frames....

Edited by Inshore

Torzite is the ring material, which doesn't seem broken.  Also, did just the one break, or have there been multiple failures?  

If just the one, you can't draw any logical conclusion(s) to their durability.  

Edited by TLap21

1 hour ago, ksong said:

They might be good for surf rods as surf fishermen rarely use drag over 20 lb. 

I use surf rods with the torzite guides down here in South Florida to catch 100 plus pound blacktip sharks on top-water lures, all day, every day, line screaming maniacs that practically yank the fisherman into water. And that's casting 150-200lb top shots through those guides as well. And the drag settings are certainly red hot with fire, way higher than most. Talk about overkill LoL.

Never a single issue with broken guide frames, as posted.

Only saying

Edited by zcoker

I've found most Ti  guides to be softer and bend out of shape easier.  Not as noticeable on double footed guides but singles especially casting guides they are.

Am Tac told me they don't make a Ti tip because it's not strong enough (whether that was truth or not I don't know)

Kil, just a thought here - do you think these failures might have to do with the extreme bend you put in the rods while trying to land big fish on rods that bend like a noodle? :)  The rod wants to bend more than the guide will let it - so the guide foot breaks the weld.  Wonder if you'd be better off with a single foot guide?

TimS