Thumb-Burner

7 or 7.5' rod recommendation for 1/2-1.5 oz plugs

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Looking for a factory spinning rod under 8' for working mostly small spooks, pencils and gliders.  fishing for trout and reds not stripers.  Thoughts appreciated

Okuma Rockaway.

LOL

Just kidding Thumb.

In 8' and less I like Shimano FX rods.

I like them a lot, great rods for $20

46 mins ago, Thumb-Burner said:

Looking for a factory spinning rod under 8' for working mostly small spooks, pencils and gliders.  fishing for trout and reds not stripers.  Thoughts appreciated

Century Weapon Jr.  7', 7.5' and 8'. They cast like much longer rods with ease. Have textreme finish so you never have to worry about dropping your rod and getting a nick in the exterior of the rod. Extremely sensitive with tons of power.  Nothing like them on the market. 

2 hours ago, AFMike said:

Century Weapon Jr.  7', 7.5' and 8'. They cast like much longer rods with ease. Have textreme finish so you never have to worry about dropping your rod and getting a nick in the exterior of the rod. Extremely sensitive with tons of power.  Nothing like them on the market. 

I'm sure these are amazing.  Should have added I'm looking for something that costs less than one arm and two legs.  :)

This season I got a st croix avid ( last years red version) 7' 70MLF , and so far im very pleased with it . On light stuff ( to me 1.25 oz. is the high end with 1/2 to 3/4 oz. the sweet spot) it works really well and it might be a good choice for you for light tackle fun. Not very inexpensive at this point, but perhaps they will be discounted since it is discontinued. 

1 hour ago, Thumb-Burner said:

I'm sure these are amazing.  Should have added I'm looking for something that costs less than one arm and two legs.  :)

While they aren't cheap they are less than a Legend by a good amount. 

I like the Shimano Teramar MH 7.6.  It casts those weights well, 2 ounces is more of a lob cast and any less is harder to load the rod, I usually fish 3/4 ounces and up.  Also, if helpful, I fish up to 20lb braid with the rod and it has enough backbone to pull keeper grouper (FL) away from the reef or turn small tuna (<25lbs).

My son is very fond of his Star stellar lite surf 7'6".   I havent put mine through enough paces yet, but it seems like a very versatile rod, handles its weight range well, is inexpensive, and is well made.