sistm

Daiwa 2019 Certate Odd Marks

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey everyone! I was looking at my Certates and on two of them I noticed some odd marks on the frame. It is definitely under the paint. Any idea what it may be? It is on two of my Certates. Only fished a couple of times and rinsed EVERY time.

 

 

FCDD1135-8424-45A6-8943-FB86D5E88A8C.jpeg

1A10086B-063D-4956-85CF-29D7EC5E4C96.jpeg

62587576-E8CE-48AE-8CF0-0CB510AE95FA.jpeg

Edited by sistm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was what initially thought too. But it almost seems like it is from casting? I can’t imagine it being rust they have only been used a couple times, rinsed and stored  inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I called them and they won’t let me email them pics, they want me to send them the reels.

 

They said they can’t tell anything without seeing the reels.

Edited by sistm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't worry about it. Reels which  get used sustain some level of damage here and there and most of it will have no effect on the actual performance of the reel. Sure its nice to have mint condition gear with no blemishes but the only way to ensure that is to not fish or have an extra reel that you keep "New in the box."

Whatever that blemish is, it looks minor and I would keep using the reel without a second thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 mins ago, valentine said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Reels which  get used sustain some level of damage here and there and most of it will have no effect on the actual performance of the reel. Sure its nice to have mint condition gear with no blemishes but the only way to ensure that is to not fish or have an extra reel that you keep "New in the box."

Whatever that blemish is, it looks minor and I would keep using the reel without a second thought.

Agree with you valentine, but, these reels have no damage that is/was caused by me. The blemish is definitely under the paint on the body which is what concerns me. I would hate to let it go and get past the 1 year warranty then have issues that could have been addressed. I would be a bit more tolerant of this if it were a lesser teir reel, but these are what Daiwa calls their " Daiwa's premier spinning reel series sets the standards for corrosion resistant reels."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless there are a lot with similar "defects" coming off the line it's often next to impossible to trace the root cause.  May just have been one that was miss handled at the factory.  With a good powder coat it's still going to take a lot to create a corrosion problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks just like the bubbling Saltigas and older Stellas get under the paint. I have had a Saltiga 5500H bubble after 2 trips lightly surf casting and I rinse n dry all my reels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, jk20a3 said:

Looks just like the bubbling Saltigas and older Stellas get under the paint. I have had a Saltiga 5500H bubble after 2 trips lightly surf casting and I rinse n dry all my reels. 

Did it ever bubble through the paint all the way?

Edited by sistm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, sistm said:

Did it ever bubble through the paint all the way?

Unfortunately yes. It was odd though, no rust, its like water or salt gets under there somehow and just pushes out. It ended up flaking off, now it just looks like the raw cast aluminum in spots. I thought the new certates had better "coating" though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently not. I just Googled and read about the 2015 Saltiga having similar issues. I may just suck it up and send them back to Daiwa since they are still under warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sistm said:

Agree with you valentine, but, these reels have no damage that is/was caused by me. The blemish is definitely under the paint on the body which is what concerns me. I would hate to let it go and get past the 1 year warranty then have issues that could have been addressed. I would be a bit more tolerant of this if it were a lesser teir reel, but these are what Daiwa calls their " Daiwa's premier spinning reel series sets the standards for corrosion resistant reels."

Oh, I completely  understand where you're coming from. You pay good money for something, it should be perfect; particularly in a higher end reel. But, in my experience high end reels can have just as many problems as less expensive ones and even if the manufacturer offers premium service, you're still without your pricey reel while its being fixed. I'm a pretty careful shopper so I usually think about my purchases before I make them. I've come to believe that I shouldn't purchase any tackle which I can't afford to lose or walk away from. Except for some gear which has sentimental value to me, there are no rod or reels I currently use which I couldn't replace this afternoon with new gear of similar quality. I simply don't want to feel like I got hit in the gut if something breaks or is lost. I view my gear as consumable. I take good care of it and it typically lasts me for many years but if it doesn't, I'm not going to be too upset.Except for fly rods and reels, a $200 reel is an expensive one to me and I expect a reel in that price range to last for decades with reasonable care. Reels that cost double and triple that I won't own because i simply don't believe they'll give me better service than the stuff I'm willing to buy. I'm not saying you're wrong for owning a high end reel. If it gives you pleasure owning it, then that's enough by itself. But if a more expensive thing causes you more concern than one which costs far less then maybe owning the expensive one really isn't worth it. 

Just something to think about and I hope your situation gets resolved to your satisfaction. Cheers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.