Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Odessa44

VR50 how do u like yours??

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Guys I wanted to get some feed back on the VR50 if anyone is up for it, I have a new one, but also have the certate and exist, don't know if I want to use it or sell it new! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

They are different reels . It's all depends how you are going to use it.

VR Sealed reel certate  and exist  definitely finise style fresh water reels. 

VR you can take it on the beach , submerged , fish  wash after use and you good to go.Reel is ready for another round . I don't think you can use   certate  and exist in same condition .

VR is also self service reel . 

I have one and all my friends have them too .Fishing in the surf with a light take is a pleasure .Very good reliable  reel

Edited by genavorn
n/a

44 mins ago, Odessa44 said:

Guys I wanted to get some feed back on the VR50 if anyone is up for it, I have a new one, but also have the certate and exist, don't know if I want to use it or sell it new! 

My buddy has one , I tried it and like it. 

He has landed some large fish without any issues.

Purchased vr125 two seasons ago great reel handles, cast really nice.  This spring picked up vr50, and put the125 in the box. The 50 much smoother, casts very good and I have  been using it exclusively.  It’s light and paired it with a seven footer and now it’s on my 9’6 tsunami airwave elite.  I have about 225 yards of 30 lb braid ( kind of over spooled) and very few wind knots.  Highly recommend it.

very happy with mine ,paired it with my edge 1164 surf rod ,the balance of both rod and reel is like fishing with  a salmon rod. very smooth . 

I'm interested in seeing some feedback as well. I'm looking to pair the VR50 with a GLoomis 7'0 IMX Pro Blue. Back Bay, some out front work, and fluke from the boat. A little bit of everything for this combo.

I got one back in march and fished it all summer on a 7’6 loomis greenwater with 8lb j-braid. I’m really happy with it, it gets fished hard dunked and put away wet haven't had any problems. Drag is nice and smooth taken quite a few big blues and have been fishing it this fall in the surf in schoolie blitz’s. Handles light line really well. I also like the very positive lockup of the manual bail its not a bail thats going to snap shut on you when you’re really firing it out there.

loving the fact it's so light for jigging mackerel, but holds up on bigger fish too. 

Acquired this spring. No issues. 

And I don't mind the knob.

ps. no monsters on it yet.

Great reel. Mine still clicks when reeling in a fish but I've had no actual problems with it. Have some nice size fish on it. Pairs well with any light inshore or surf rod up to 9'6".

My buddy hooked and landed a 48" striper,not sure of the weight.

He felt a difference in the reel and sent it in to VS.
They replaced main and pinion gears all under warranty and got it back in a very quick turnaround. 

IMG_3765.jpg

1 hour ago, beerdoh said:

Great reel. Mine still clicks when reeling in a fish but I've had no actual problems with it. Have some nice size fish on it. Pairs well with any light inshore or surf rod up to 9'6".

Make sure the side plate is tightened down properly.. mine had a slight click, I snugged up the side plate and the click is gone 100%... just a thought. 

Second season with it so far and I Love my VR50.. hundred+ albies... endless bonito and mackerel... tons of fluke, seabass and tog... some 15-20lb gators, and many many bass in good current including some over 30lbs... oil before each use, wash down after, self serviced last winter... no issues thus far.. great reel. 

I know of one VR50 that was purchased and the side plate came loose the first time it was used and the gears were damaged. Always a good idea to check the screws on any new reel; I even remove them and  put blue Loctite on them in case they don't come that way. Remember that folks assembling reels don't always do the job to the correct specs.