EricM

Help me get better with sonar.

23 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago I had the same questions and it took off so much that TimS moved it to the main forum. It's now long and pretty educational, though I'm still frequently baffled.

26 mins ago, buddha162 said:

If you are under way (1-3mph) most game fish under your cone will be arches. If you are stationary fish under your cone will be spaghetti. 

5da4981103a9c_sonar2.png.a2f6158b42d9222b3c06482490a241bd.png

This is probably the most helpful post I've seen on this topic lmao

Also trying to understand the fishfinder, first two pics are under schools of Bunker. Almost every bunker pod that I encounter has the Dennis patch on top and then little specs in a separate schools near the bottom or underneath them. Is that more bunker? Or predator fish or the school? I didn’t catch anything under any of the schools that day.  Second picture of bunker with what looks to be solid mass in circle shape, not really an arch in my opinion. Any thoughts?  Third pic is what I’m assuming to be arches from striped bass? I only picked one very small small school is out of that area and then I couldn’t seem to find them

8C2FBF1B-B5D9-48F4-80EA-F483FAC97446.png

EB39E76D-983E-4137-88BF-A0886BDF2DCA.png

315AFED9-CE4A-44ED-A1FF-58BDE2BAB4B5.jpeg

Must be peanuts if they're bunker in first pic. Unless you seen them I'd lean towards bay anchovies. Way to many for such a shallow depth.  All the same in that pic, the deeper ones are less dense. Look at the smaller dots of blue. If they were 16" bunker your screen would turn red and you would think it wasn't working.

The second are anchovies or spearing (also small). On the left side of screen looks like you went over a air trail from a passing boat.

Third is bass or blues all moving.

34 mins ago, Rick67 said:

Third is bass or blues all moving.

I've been told in the thread I referenced earlier that blues will not produce that dense return with the red & yellow because they do not have a swim bladder like bass.