atv223

Surf Launch

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cool video thanks for sharing.  I don’t normally use my paddle leash when launching or landing. Also I try to paddle through waves breaking over the bow.   Any launch that you make it out is a good one. If this was on Sunday a few weeks ago I think i was there. Great job.  Many people did not make it out that day.

Edited by dbjpb

No offense meant as you are a pedal guy, but this video is going to be very useful in future "paddle technique" threads as an example of how NOT to paddle! You are using your arms exclusively and not rotating your shoulders to use your torso core at all. It sure got you out there, and you're not going to be paddling all day so it's not important to you to paddling efficiently. Fair nuff. But its just a peeve of mine that people don't think paddling is something that needs to be learned. And with proper technique you'd have a lot more power available for getting though those waves.

11 hours ago, dbjpb said:

Cool video thanks for sharing.  I don’t normally use my paddle leash when launching or landing. Also I try to paddle through waves breaking over the bow.   Any launch that you make it out is a good one. If this was on Sunday a few weeks ago I think i was there. Great job.  Many people did not make it out that day.

Yeah, that was the day.  You guys got out about 20 minutes before we launched.  I think we saw you paddling just past the breakers, but after that we never saw another kayak all day.  I wish I had remembered to start my camera on the way back in.  The beach was packed with people!  We definitely weren't expecting a huge audience the way back in.  Fortunately, we didn't give them a big spectacle!

9 hours ago, JayDag1128 said:

How do you have the mirage drive strapped in there? Is that a bungee over the pedals?

It's a custom setup I made to quickly hold down the drive by the pedals in the front.  It's a short length of bungee cord attached at both sides with some soft mounting points I made.  I can take a couple photos if you're interested

6 hours ago, gellfex said:

No offense meant as you are a pedal guy, but this video is going to be very useful in future "paddle technique" threads as an example of how NOT to paddle! You are using your arms exclusively and not rotating your shoulders to use your torso core at all. It sure got you out there, and you're not going to be paddling all day so it's not important to you to paddling efficiently. Fair nuff. But its just a peeve of mine that people don't think paddling is something that needs to be learned. And with proper technique you'd have a lot more power available for getting though those waves.

I fully expected you to critique something about my launch when I posted this! LOL!  It's said that kayak fishermen get into the sport as either kayakers or fishermen first.  Me it was the latter.  If my only option was to paddle and fish, I'd probably find a new hobby.  I realize my paddling technique is nothing to be proud of.  If it makes you feel better, when I'm paddling my OK Scrambler around the local lake, I focus on the strokes and my technique is better (probably not good).  However, in the surge of a surf launch, my undeveloped muscle memory doesn't kick in and my technique is awful.

Between my crash video with my crappy bracing technique and this one, you're on your way to a full movie of bad technique!

Too bad I didn't hit the record button on the way back in.  I did something right on the brace and the front of the kayak straightened out twice, you would have been proud! (or at least not disgusted, LOL).

Hopefully I'll more video soon for critique!

On 10/13/2019 at 11:06 PM, gellfex said:

Looked good to me, I can generally get in and out fine but it’d be great to be good. Can you (have you?) post a video or 2 showing good technique?

On 10/14/2019 at 6:01 AM, atv223 said:

I fully expected you to critique something about my launch when I posted this! LOL!  It's said that kayak fishermen get into the sport as either kayakers or fishermen first.  Me it was the latter.  If my only option was to paddle and fish, I'd probably find a new hobby.  I realize my paddling technique is nothing to be proud of.  If it makes you feel better, when I'm paddling my OK Scrambler around the local lake, I focus on the strokes and my technique is better (probably not good).  However, in the surge of a surf launch, my undeveloped muscle memory doesn't kick in and my technique is awful.

Between my crash video with my crappy bracing technique and this one, you're on your way to a full movie of bad technique!

Too bad I didn't hit the record button on the way back in.  I did something right on the brace and the front of the kayak straightened out twice, you would have been proud! (or at least not disgusted, LOL).

Hopefully I'll more video soon for critique!

What you did was fine to me. I don't rotate my hips either. I push rather pull, but othrs may find that gay. 

On 10/13/2019 at 11:06 PM, gellfex said:

You should do a video and show us how its done.  Show us the proper way to paddle. 

Any time you get out past the breakers upright it is a  good surf launch.  I think the landings make the best videos. I have had many more failed landings then launches.  I have been  a definite source of entertainment for the surf fisherman. I would guess that most people don't post their failed attempts. It is pretty rare that at least one kayaker in the group does not make it out or back in  successfully through the surf zone. It is part of the sport out front.

The key here is to prepare for failure and hope for the best. Pack all your gear below deck and or secure your rod's flat to the deck. Try not to get hit by the kayak if you fall out. Pack light. The less stuff you bring the less stuff you will have to clean up. As you can see in the vide above atv was very well prepared. It is obvious he has been doing this for awhile.

I wouldn't notice the paddling technique if gellfex didn't mention it, so I went back and watched again.  If you don't paddle much, it probably will not be an issue, but if you dig really hard with arms only, you can end up with paddler's elbow, also know as tennis elbow, also known as tendinitis. I did it the first year I started fishing from a paddle kayak a couple of years ago and it is very painful...like it hurts to hold your coffee mug long enough to take a drink.  Now I have a Hobie, so I don't do nearly as much paddling as I did before, but when I do I am extra mindful of that rotation/shoulder use.

4 hours ago, The Riddler said:

You should do a video and show us how its done.  Show us the proper way to paddle. 

I think your request is probably sarcastic, but why should paddling be any different from most sports where proper technique is critical to being effective?  Coaches get paid to teach tennis, soccer, golf, whatever, but people are born knowing how to paddle properly?  

I'm not a Gopro guy, but I linked to this one in a technique thread a few years ago, it's pretty good.  Notice the elbows only bend after the propulsion part of the stroke is complete.