Fishlessjoe

More bag or more beach?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Since I’m still pretty much a newbie I’d like to get the opinion of you more experienced guys. Is it better to throw the whole bag before moving on or stick to a couple presentation and cover more beach? Any responses are much appreciated! Tight lines to you all!

Just my opinion, I use to carry a large plug bag with 20-25 lures. Now I fish with a smaller plug bag with 8-10 lures, topwater, swimmers, metal and swim shads and I like to cover more ground if possible.  Always have more lures in the truck just in case needed and have some leaders made up for quick change if the bluefish are present. Good luck!

Smaller selection is beter. Less weight. It also depends on the weather and what bait is around. Buck tails, swim shad/ hard plastic, a poper of some sort. Try to have lures for all the water columns bottom middle top. Keep a container in the car or truck with extra gear. 

Close to 60 years of fishing from the beach has taught me that if I'm walking I will throw the bag before moving.  That way of fishing has saved me many a skunking.  

3 hours ago, gcjeep14 said:

Just my opinion, I use to carry a large plug bag with 20-25 lures. Now I fish with a smaller plug bag with 8-10 lures, topwater, swimmers, metal and swim shads and I like to cover more ground if possible.  Always have more lures in the truck just in case needed and have some leaders made up for quick change if the bluefish are present. Good luck!

I'm far from a seasoned vet so take it for whatever but I basically subscribe to this method. I have a couple lures that I'm confident using and start with those. I can hit the water with 3 or 4 lures and feel like i did enough. 

If there's definitely fish on the feed in the area (which can be pretty hard to judge at times) I may try to fine tune things. 

One thing i don't do anymore is stay in one place throwing lure after lure. I've tried too many times to get a largemouth on a bed to bite a lure.

I generally start out with something like a paddle tail shad or sand eel and do the countdown method. Ill make like 3 casts then move. I'll do that for maybe a half-mile or so then work my way back with a crankbait like a bomber. 

Versatile lures are a must in my opinion. 

Carry the least amount of plugs necessary to fish the TOP, MIDDLE, BOTTOM water columns. 6-7 plugs?

Move as much as needed to find the fish. You will know within a few casts if their are any fish around.   Don’t ever stay and fish the same area. It’s a big ocean and hoping a fish finds your offering in an ocean is insane. 

Ill fish 3 different areas, and the choice is based on the wind and mainly the tide stage.

I’ll carry six different types of plugs/lead.

2 littleneck popper, floater and sinker 

3 sp’s, bone, chicken scratch, and blurple

2 bottledarter 

4 magdarter bone, blurple, red/white, and old school bronze 

5 Bucktails a mix of white, olive, and red wine. (In the bag) and 5 more on my belt

3oz, 21/2, 2, 11/2, 1

1 RG glider

I normally fish central Jersey beaches, just a lot of sand not many jetty’s and a steady west wind. In the heat of August/September I would meet up with a few buddies and walk the beach with only three epoxy jigs & leaders, seven foot rod and vr50, we call it lazy fishing but it was productive.  Small blues, Spanish macs and Bonita, just think in a few weeks waders, 9 or 10 foot rods, larger reels and big plugs... more like work!  Good Luck

9 hours ago, CKjeep84 said:

Smaller selection is beter. Less weight. It also depends on the weather and what bait is around. Buck tails, swim shad/ hard plastic, a poper of some sort. Try to have lures for all the water columns bottom middle top. Keep a container in the car or truck with extra gear. 

Less is best. I’ve gone from a bucket and backpack to a small bag over the years. 

8 hours ago, hobobob said:

More location. Look for proof of life before spending the whole day/night flocking empty water.

Unless I’m bait fishing or on a sea wall/jetty, I’m moving....a lot. 

1 hour ago, bayyaker54 said:

Ill fish 3 different areas, and the choice is based on the wind and mainly the tide stage.

I’ll carry six different types of plugs/lead.

2 littleneck popper, floater and sinker 

3 sp’s, bone, chicken scratch, and blurple

2 bottledarter 

4 magdarter bone, blurple, red/white, and old school bronze 

5 Bucktails a mix of white, olive, and red wine. (In the bag) and 5 more on my belt

3oz, 21/2, 2, 11/2, 1

1 RG glider

Great advice here. I’m carrying a similar bag, just more tins, and white bucktails- 3/4, 1, 1.25, 1.5. 2 Oz, maybe a few colors too in 1 and 1.5 ounce, and trailers. 

Typical day bag-

Bucktails-can’t have enough 

Couple tins-real tins, Hopkins shorty, deadly dick, Ava

2 pencils

1 magdarter

1 bone minnow

1 chicken scratch 

1or 2 big plugs,  maybe a windcheater, big bomber, pikie, danny etc. 

No glider, no bottle plug. I really don’t know how to use these and lack confidence. 

1 hour ago, D1fishr said:

Less is best. I’ve gone from a bucket and backpack to a small bag over the years. 

Unless I’m bait fishing or on a sea wall/jetty, I’m moving....a lot. 

Great advice here. I’m carrying a similar bag, just more tins, and white bucktails- 3/4, 1, 1.25, 1.5. 2 Oz, maybe a few colors too in 1 and 1.5 ounce, and trailers. 

Typical day bag-

Bucktails-can’t have enough 

Couple tins-real tins, Hopkins shorty, deadly dick, Ava

2 pencils

1 magdarter

1 bone minnow

1 chicken scratch 

1or 2 big plugs,  maybe a windcheater, big bomber, pikie, danny etc. 

No glider, no bottle plug. I really don’t know how to use these and lack confidence. 

The glider and bottledarter, just find some moving water, they’ll do the rest

If you think the fish should be there, throw the bag, work the whole water column before moving

Time spent gaining experience will give you an eye for "good water". Confidence in your lure selection will dictate how much time to spend. Then go look for more "good water". It is a process, but also a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction when you get to the point when you have  enough under your belt to decide what and when. It creates what surf fishing is all about. I love catching, but I love fishing even more.