apache67

PA-Late Fall?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hi PA Trout fishers.  Just got done with a total skunk-job in VT (Peru wilderness area).   Maybe the water has gotten too cold and the fish have moved into warmer deeper pools far downstream.  Anyways, any areas in central to eastern PA that remains fishable mid to late fall?

Are there any decent private waters accessible by rod fee non-guided (e.g., Mossy creek in VA)?

Thanks for any nuggets of info!

Cheers,

G

I don't know much about private waters in PA.  Plenty of good trout streams on public land.  Are you flyfishing?  If so even more.

Check out the PFBC WEB site.  If you are coming from VA then I'd be looking at the Cumberland Valley area.  Good number of spring creeks.

Many are fly only in the upper ends but usually open to artificials or all types of fishing downstream.

Central PA has a host of streams that fish well in the fall as does the Lehigh Valley.   The Jorden, Little Lehigh, Saucon, Monocacy among others in LV.

The list in central PA is to long to list.  But the Little Juniata, Penns, and Spring Creeks would top the list.

1 hour ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I don't know much about private waters in PA.  Plenty of good trout streams on public land.  Are you flyfishing?  If so even more.

Check out the PFBC WEB site.  If you are coming from VA then I'd be looking at the Cumberland Valley area.  Good number of spring creeks.

Many are fly only in the upper ends but usually open to artificials or all types of fishing downstream.

Central PA has a host of streams that fish well in the fall as does the Lehigh Valley.   The Jorden, Little Lehigh, Saucon, Monocacy among others in LV.

The list in central PA is to long to list.  But the Little Juniata, Penns, and Spring Creeks would top the list.

I am on base at JB MDL.  Not far from you.  Yes, fly fishing.  I haven't owned or used bait chucking gear in decades, lol.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

G

21 mins ago, apache67 said:

I am on base at JB MDL.  Not far from you.  Yes, fly fishing.  I haven't owned or used bait chucking gear in decades, lol.

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

G

In that case the Little Lehigh on the Heritage section would be at the top of my PA list.

I haven't fished it but friends fish the upper Raritan in NJ.  I  understand it holds a decent population of wild trout.

Well maybe we can continue this thread on similar subject without a debate on spawning fish.  Or a debate that gets out of hand.

I'll make my comments on fall fishing regarding the spawn.  I fish in the fall.  I use some common sense when fishing streams that could be impacted.  I try to stay out of the streambed on smaller streams.  I watch where I fish on larger streams.  I release all fish I catch.  Most smaller streams that hold brookies are low at this time of year making tough, if not unfun, fishing.  Add to that the dead leaves starting to accumulate and don't spend much time fishing them this time of year.  PA state biologists aren't concerned about responsible fishing impacting spawning fish and thus have not closed fishing during this time.  PA has streams with reproducing rainbows that can be fished if one is concerned about fishing streams with spawning trout.

Some areas that should have good water levels in the fall in central PA include Clarks Creek, Yellow Breeches, Letort Spring Creek.  If you go north or NE from Indiantown Gap you run into coal country.  Generally the streams don't support wild trout reproduction.  They are coming back but not to where they are worth much traveling.

Follow 81 S into the Cumberland Valley and you hit a host of spring creeks.  PFBC WEB site provides info on streams and species available.

Well, I typed up a long informative reply to your other post and when I went to submit it, the thread had been locked...

Anyway, two main streams in gamelands 211, both hold trout throughout the season. Both offer good fishing in certain areas. The Quiti is near the gap and has a special regulation area that gets stocked tomorrow.... There are a few wild trout waters near you, but I'll let you figure that out on your own... 

Check out the Valley Creek from Chesterbrooke downstream to the Schuylkill River. Lots of access points as most is parkland. It's C&R due to the fact that PCBs have been leaching from the Paoli train station for decades. It is a great wild trout area because of the water quality and being C&R. If you get the skunk here you are just not a good fisherman ;)

17 hours ago, Bob fishhead Sproul said:

Check out the Valley Creek from Chesterbrooke downstream to the Schuylkill River. Lots of access points as most is parkland. It's C&R due to the fact that PCBs have been leaching from the Paoli train station for decades. It is a great wild trout area because of the water quality and being C&R. If you get the skunk here you are just not a good fisherman ;)

Cool, and thanks!

Tulpehochen below blue marsh is worth a look.  Artificial only below the spillway.  The deeper pools hold other fish as well.  Sections of the quitty in Lebanon would be worth a look also

On 10/28/2019 at 10:39 PM, DerrickT said:

Tulpehochen below blue marsh is worth a look.  Artificial only below the spillway.  The deeper pools hold other fish as well.  Sections of the quitty in Lebanon would be worth a look also

Tully has a number of parks alongside which offer easy access.  There is usually a report on stream conditions on TCO WEB site.  Also a couple of YouTube regulars.  Can check out the videos and find out what water flow is fishable.  The stream holds better winter water temps due to being fed by the lake.

On 10/13/2019 at 7:54 AM, apache67 said:

Anyways, any areas in central to eastern PA that remains fishable mid to late fall?

“The list in central PA is to long to list.  But the Little Juniata, Penns, and Spring Creeks would top the list.”

If you decide to head in this direction, let me know and I can give you intel on all Central PA waters as I reside outside State College and have fished these waters for over 40 years..... The Little J is my go to!!!