Bob fishhead Sproul

Running boards - like them?

35 posts in this topic

Do running boards really decrease your clearance? The ones on our Expedition sit higher than the frame rails by a few inches measureed by eyeball.. Most times differential housing or tranny/transfer case skid plates are the lowest clearance items.

have the stock running boards on my 2016 4-Runner Trail (now the off-road pro) 5th gen.  Also had them on my 2004 Sport Edition 4th gen, which I lost to frame corrosion because the dealer ripped me off on the $1000.00 "rust proofing" that ended up being a "ghost spray" job (to quote Lakewood Toyota).  Funny thing is, after 11 years and 81K miles, mostly beach, the running boards and brackets were the one thing that did not rust.

Regarding clearance, the running boards are higher than the frame rails, which are higher than the skid plates and differentials. I was really interested in a set of "Truck Lungs" as my next project, to get back room for the interior, but it seems the company has gone out of business.  Anyone know for sure if this is so?

I liked them till I backed out of my garage in to about a 2’ snow bank and the pu truck rode up on the running boards and lifted the rear wheels off the drive way and partially the front wheels. Had to get pulled out to the road way.

On 2/12/2020 at 8:02 AM, modelcitizen said:

Jim,if you like the sliders,other than the rust(are they rusted thru?) take them off,get them blasted and powdercoated. Powdercoating much tougher than paint and cheaper than replacing what you have i'm sure. East Coast Powdercoating is a company i deal with and their work is consistent and they're fair in price dept.

I'll pm you their specifics,aware Tim doesn't want any commercial links here. mc

Thanks Mike!

Just replied to your PM.

Do you know if they sand blast as well as powder coat?

I have been told that it would be cheaper to replace w/ new by a couple shops, but I'm not yet convinced that's true. I do like the added protection of sliders vs boards.

I was thinking spray on liner material vs powder coat as it would be grippier for were boots.

Thanks again!

JD