Bob fishhead Sproul

Running boards - like them?

23 posts in this topic

My 2006 4Runner came with running boards.  I didn't really like the look, didn't like how they get dirty looking quickly, and didn't really need them to climb into the vehicle, being tall enough (6 ft).

So ... I took them off and put them in the basement, where they still are sitting, even though I just traded in that vehicle :) 

Well, I just got a certified 2016 and it has those running boards.  Nothing much has changed except that I am shrinking (getting older, ha!) and the vehicle is a couple inches taller in terms if it being higher to climb into.

So, for those of you who have them ... do you like them or have you removed yours too?

PS - anyone in the area with a 4th gen that wants my old ones for free can PM me and we can meet up.  Sorry, no shipping.

I remember when I took mine off temporarily for bedlining

After a couple of faceplants, I quickly put them back on :banghd:

I plan on welding up a set of sliders to replace them

20191013-093501-Medium.jpg

i don't like them on my 2004 4runner, but i think i might need them or i gotta find an alternative. I also want to do a small lift which will make it even harder to reach the rods on the roof.

9 mins ago, Captain Planet said:

My 19 4runner came with them, but i'll probably replace them with rock sliders at some point.  

I just bought a 19 TRD and my wife needs them to get in and out. What kind are on your truck?

4 mins ago, Ted Pietz said:

I just bought a 19 TRD and my wife needs them to get in and out. What kind are on your truck?

Whatever the off-road premium ones are.  I don't like the look, and they'll just bend the body if you hit anything with them

Shoot, that's not good. I have the off road premium too and need to get something for the wife to use as she has rheumatoid arthritis and therefore need a boost. I will look around and may be better off with something that will bend before the truck does. I do not anticipate hitting anything but s*** does happen. Thanks for your honest information.

Later,

Ted

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

Shoot, that's not good. I have the off road premium too and need to get something for the wife to use as she has rheumatoid arthritis and therefore need a boost. I will look around and may be better off with something that will bend before the truck does. I do not anticipate hitting anything but s*** does happen. Thanks for your honest information.

Later,

Ted

I mean rock sliders are more for bashing into rocks and stuff, but there are a bunch of companies that make them with step platforms.

It's basically a running board made of steel tubing that bolts to the frame in like 15 places instead of to the body.  In the event of impact, it stays in place instead of bending and crumpling the body and doors of the truck.  

Edit: if you really want the stock ones, I'll sell ya mine for a lot cheaper than the dealer ones.  I was planning on taking them off but have nowhere to store them.  

Edited by Captain Planet

Jeez, that is very cool of you. I live in Maine zip 04634 so shipping might be aa issue. What do the ones on your truck look like?

On 10/13/2019 at 1:25 PM, 98 SNAKE EATER said:

I remember when I took mine off temporarily for bedlining

After a couple of faceplants, I quickly put them back on :banghd:

I plan on welding up a set of sliders to replace them

20191013-093501-Medium.jpg

^^^^^This^^^^^