Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltdonkey98

How much of a difference does having a kayak make

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So I have been thinking about investing some money into a hobie or something that I can launch off the beach on calm days and fish with mostly in the summer, but in New Jersey, how much of a difference does if make to be able to get out just a little further? I would assume most fish are going to be closer to the actual shore feeding no? Are there more species available a little past the surf line? Bigger fish? Thanks, and any extra advice and feedback is welcomed.

Get it.  Never regretting buying my Hobie even once.  With our shallow beaches, it allows you to reach some deeper water.  Particularly helpful in the fall the past several years since the bass haven't seemed to come in close to the shorelines very frequently 

Edited by Bluetaildragger

I have a couple of friends that fish with their kayak’s & they always out fish me, as long as they hand over a filet... I will gladly throw a new plug their way!  Just good karma and  good  luck with next purchase.

This is my second season fishing in a kayak and it’s been a blast. Got a real basic sit on top to do some river and bay fishing in the beginning but soon started doing ocean fishing also. The ocean is amazing as you never know what you will come across. I’ve had dolphin swim right under the kayak and I’ve had this. Most amazing experience I’m my lifetime.

831AE6A8-F3B1-4B0F-8D2B-8EED044DEEE4.jpeg

2 mins ago, JMB said:

This is my second season fishing in a kayak and it’s been a blast. Got a real basic sit on top to do some river and bay fishing in the beginning but soon started doing ocean fishing also. The ocean is amazing as you never know what you will come across. I’ve had dolphin swim right under the kayak and I’ve had this. Most amazing experience I’m my lifetime.

831AE6A8-F3B1-4B0F-8D2B-8EED044DEEE4.jpeg

I'd imagine the guy just out of view on the right side of the picture shat hisself 

6 mins ago, Kml said:

I'd imagine the guy just out of view on the right side of the picture shat hisself 

Lol Kev, that would be me and I loved it, just so awesome. We were snagging bunker on a big school of them and these 2 whales showed up for lunch. They were on the other side of the bunker but turned and came right between me and my buddy, we were about 50 feet apart from each other. Forgot I still had a snag Hook in the water with a bunker on it and as they came through us  my line went tight. Must have snagged him in the side. Had him for a half second and snap. So I am truly one of the few people that can tell you what a whale feels like. Lol.

4 hours ago, JMB said:

Lol Kev, that would be me and I loved it, just so awesome. We were snagging bunker on a big school of them and these 2 whales showed up for lunch. They were on the other side of the bunker but turned and came right between me and my buddy, we were about 50 feet apart from each other. Forgot I still had a snag Hook in the water with a bunker on it and as they came through us  my line went tight. Must have snagged him in the side. Had him for a half second and snap. So I am truly one of the few people that can tell you what a whale feels like. Lol.

Ok got it, if I see a pod of bunker, hightail it back to land! 

13 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Get it.  Never regretting buying my Hobie even once.  With our shallow beaches, it allows you to reach some deeper water.  Particularly helpful in the fall the past several years since the bass haven't seemed to come in close to the shorelines very frequently 

Awesome, I think I'm sold. So excited to get out past the waves.

I bought a hobie last year, used it once and then sold it.  All water is 1.5hr+ drive for me (the shore is 3) and it was too much of a burden I felt lugging it around.  if i lived close to the water I would have deff kept it though.

2 hours ago, kurazy kracka said:

I bought a hobie last year, used it once and then sold it.  All water is 1.5hr+ drive for me (the shore is 3) and it was too much of a burden I felt lugging it around.  if i lived close to the water I would have deff kept it though.

I feel the same way i had a kayak for one season the year fo sandy and while it was fun it was also a pain in the ass. I felt like i spent more time kayaking than fishing. 

Now i got an inflatable SUP it's lighter and easier to deal with.  The issue with both of these things is weather often dictates when you can use them.  Wind over 15 and i was shut down.