apache67

PA Brook Trout Experts?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Hi PA Trout fishers.  Just got done with a total skunk-job in VT (Peru wilderness area).   Maybe the water has gotten too cold and the fish have moved into warmer deeper pools far downstream.  Anyways, any areas in central to eastern PA that remains fishable mid to late fall?

Are there any decent private waters accessible by rod fee non-guided (e.g., Mossy creek in VA)?

Thanks for any nuggets of info!

Cheers,

G

Edited by apache67

On 10/12/2019 at 2:59 PM, apache67 said:

Hi PA Trout fishers.  Just got done with a total skunk-job in VT (Peru wilderness area).   Maybe the water has gotten too cold and the fish have moved into warmer deeper pools far downstream.  Anyways, any areas in central to eastern PA that remains fishable mid to late fall?

Are there any decent private waters accessible by rod fee non-guided (e.g., Mossy creek in VA)?

Cheers,

G

You’re right about in the spawning season for both brook trout and brown trout, so unless you’re a selfish jerk, stay away from wild trout waters. Those fish don’t need any additional stress on top of them reproducing so that our streams have healthy populations. 

That said, go fish the George Harvey section of Spruce Crick. It’s often densely packed with large stocked fish so you don’t really need to worry about them spawning. You will see fish on redds however, and I’d suggest even staying away from them, but I adhere to a very strict rule of not fishing while fish I depend on for fun are trying to reproduce. 

On 10/12/2019 at 2:59 PM, apache67 said:

Cheers,

G

42 mins ago, Ftyer said:

You’re right about in the spawning season for both brook trout and brown trout, so unless you’re a selfish jerk, stay away from wild trout waters. Those fish don’t need any additional stress on top of them reproducing so that our streams have healthy populations. 

That said, go fish the George Harvey section of Spruce Crick. It’s often densely packed with large stocked fish so you don’t really need to worry about them spawning. You will see fish on redds however, and I’d suggest even staying away from them, but I adhere to a very strict rule of not fishing while fish I depend on for fun are trying to reproduce. 

Good for you.  Want a cookie?

To the other guys: thanks for the suggestions and links.  Will definitely check out all the suggestions. 

you can purchase online USED book Flyfisher's guide to Pennsylvania = Dave Wolf , that's what i did , and Yes during the closed season you might find a "  No Kill Zone "  in many eastern states available to protect the BT species . 

56 mins ago, apache67 said:

Good for you.  Want a cookie?

To the other guys: thanks for the suggestions and links.  Will definitely check out all the suggestions. 

I mean, I gave you an honest answer that also provided a solid suggestion to exactly what you’re looking for as well as a suggestion that provides little environmental detriment for what you’re trying to accomplish. What’s wrong with that? 

I’ll just go out on a limb and assume you’re one of those ego-driven kooks who cares more about their experience than being a good steward and respecting the environment and the natural inhabitants of them. 

And yes, if you’re handing out cookies, sign me up. Let me know if you want me to pm you my Venmo, cool dude. 

10 mins ago, Ftyer said:

I mean, I gave you an honest answer that also provided a solid suggestion to exactly what you’re looking for as well as a suggestion that provides little environmental detriment for what you’re trying to accomplish. What’s wrong with that? 

I’ll just go out on a limb and assume you’re one of those ego-driven kooks who cares more about their experience than being a good steward and respecting the environment and the natural inhabitants of them. 

And yes, if you’re handing out cookies, sign me up. Let me know if you want me to pm you my Venmo, cool dude. 

Naw, you are coming across as some sanctimonious a-hole making assumptions. 

Once again to all the others who reached-out (PM, etc.)  thanks!

How far away are you willing to travel?

If you are looking for good brook trout water they can be found in the Poconos and NC PA.  Problem is that they tend to be low this time of year.

There are many streams in PA that are fishable year round.  (These hold a mix of species depending on stream.)  Most of these are spring creeks.  Some around the Lehigh Valley and others in the central part of the state.

Most of these are spring creeks with clear water and smart trout due to the pressure.  So a skunk is not out of the question.

Another question is do you fish sub-surface or only dry flies?

Some shops with WEB sites that post hatches and local activity.

These are local shops and deserve support just as local surf shops.

The Evening Hatch Fly shop for the Poconos

The Feathered Hook for Penns

Fly Fishermans Paradise for Spring Creek and State College area streams.

TCO Fly Shops for SE and central PA.

You may also want to check out the PA flyfishing forum.  Very active site. 

Edit:  BTW there is a large flyfishing show held in NJ every year towards the end of Jan.  Good place to find info on NJ and PA locations. 

Edited by Steve_in_PA

1 hour ago, apache67 said:

Naw, you are coming across as some sanctimonious a-hole making assumptions. 

Once again to all the others who reached-out (PM, etc.)  thanks!

I do wonder what assumption? We have a guy looking to fish for wild fish, which are exposed to a slew of environmental consequences ranging from low water to natural predation and a ton of things in between, at a time whenever they’re most vulnerable and also trying to naturally populate their own home and carry on their genetics. Really not ideal circumstances to fish if you do in fact care about the preservation and conservation of these places and the wonderful fish that inhabit them. 

So is it all that wrong to assume, that under that exact reasoning, based solely off of your own inquisition, that you might be at least a bit selfish to even consider doing something that clearly has environmental impacts that exceed you catching your little fish? Also, that assumption is barring your response to my original post, which only perpetuates my “assumption.”

I’ve fished this exact area for almost twenty years now. I know all of the waters and possess an intimate understanding of them and also know how truly fragile they are. Excuse me for trying to suggest protecting them at a time of vulnerability. Clearly, given your post, you didn’t consider this at all. I’d suggest you read up on fishing over wild, spawning trout and see exactly what you should and should not do. Coincidentally, a shop mentioned above, Fly fishers Paradise, has a wonderful article written on the subject, and I do believe that they (as well as most ethical anglers) discourage fishing over spawning fish. 

But again, these are opinions of “locals.” Ya know, the guys who fish these waters often, those who care about what they offer far more than taking a picture just to get little red hearts tapped away on an app, not some out of towner just blowing in and looking to take what they can while keeping themselves happy, regardless of the effect it may have on the ecosystem.  

37 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

How far away are you willing to travel?

If you are looking for good brook trout water they can be found in the Poconos and NC PA.  Problem is that they tend to be low this time of year.

There are many streams in PA that are fishable year round.  (These hold a mix of species depending on stream.)  Most of these are spring creeks.  Some around the Lehigh Valley and others in the central part of the state.

Most of these are spring creeks with clear water and smart trout due to the pressure.  So a skunk is not out of the question.

Another question is do you fish sub-surface or only dry flies?

Some shops with WEB sites that post hatches and local activity.

These are local shops and deserve support just as local surf shops.

The Evening Hatch Fly shop for the Poconos

The Feathered Hook for Penns

Fly Fishermans Paradise for Spring Creek and State College area streams.

TCO Fly Shops for SE and central PA.

You may also want to check out the PA flyfishing forum.  Very active site. 

Edit:  BTW there is a large flyfishing show held in NJ every year towards the end of Jan.  Good place to find info on NJ and PA locations. 

I am looking at areas in and around gameland area 211.  I can stay at the Gap.  Familiar with this area?  Looks pretty rugged to access the NE end of the preserve which is up my alley.

My how the truth must hurt. Maybe I’m beating a dead horse but this is something that deeply matters to me. I’d suggest that those who haven’t blocked me encourage this lad to gain an understanding of the effects that unnecessary stress on already fragile ecosystems can have on these small streams and their trout. Not fishing for a few months of the year is a very small detriment compared to the wonderful benefits these streams give us the rest of the year.