biggstriper

Deer Hamburger

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I started using my grinder this week to make deer hamburger out of the burger meat I have saved from last season. It seems to have turned out good and I'm going to try some out today to test taste it. The grinder is real easy to use and clean. Way easier than I thought it would be. I just had to keep the meat and pork trim fat I mixed together pretty cold. I tried to hurry and let it get too warm and it was just a greasy mess. I had to throw that batch away.

IM002694.JPG

IM002693.JPG

Nice. A couple things I do when grinding is put the throat, auger and plate in the freezer before grinding, chill the meat in the freezer until it starts to harden and keep one of those flexible ice packs on the throat of the grinder to keep it cool. That keeps the fats from melting fro the heat of the auger and, if the mix feeds right, it comes out consistent and not a mush. I do the same thing when stuffing sausages/brats after the first grind. 

Edited by chessie_yaker

Made burgers last week from some stew meat i ground, didn't have any fat to mix with it so i did some sautéed onions/garlic and mixed in a beaten egg with the chopmeat, topped with mushrooms it was awesome

Edited by Sandflee

My buddy back in Jersey used to add fatty bacon strips to the grind to get an improved fat ratio.

And the good thing about bacon is that you can grill your burger rare without fear of tric 

16 mins ago, SallyGrowler said:

My buddy back in Jersey used to add fatty bacon strips to the grind to get an improved fat ratio.

And the good thing about bacon is that you can grill your burger rare without fear of tric 

I’ve done that with sausages as well. Adds a nice smokey flavor to the sausage without smoking them. 

Earlier in the summer, I was looking to do something different with my last few pounds of ground venison. I usually do chili. 

I mixed it like a sweet meatloaf with plenty of brown sugar, minced premium bacon, and so on. I rolled them like meatballs, then cooked them on the grill with some cherry wood. I garnished them with torn up chives from the chive pot. Most of them didn’t make it in the house. They were really good!

On 16/10/2019 at 4:24 PM, D1fishr said:

Earlier in the summer, I was looking to do something different with my last few pounds of ground venison. I usually do chili. 

I mixed it like a sweet meatloaf with plenty of brown sugar, minced premium bacon, and so on. I rolled them like meatballs, then cooked them on the grill with some cherry wood. I garnished them with torn up chives from the chive pot. Most of them didn’t make it in the house. They were really good!

That sounds pretty delicious. And reminds me that I have cherry and applewood to split before smoking season :th:

I've used ground lamb, or meat off lamb shoulder chops to add fat to the venison, its a nice mix.

Making sausage I've substituted olive oil for animal fat too, it can add the needed fat to the mix without the animal fat.

I've had venison cut with too much pork that it stopped tasting like venison.  I like to experiment, even using ground chuck mixed to venison one or two times for burgers and tacos..