School me on mullet (fish, not hair!)

Rate this topic

Southcoastphil

10 mins ago, borntafish said:

Usually they will be gone after the New moon in  OCT. It's an awesome sight to see em drop out of the salt ponds in 2 tides along with the mullet. Bass and blues seem to know well in advance when this will happen.

Awesome piece of information for anyone who didnt know or couldnt make that connection on their own.  I love the last new moon in Oct. for this very reason!

17 mins ago, borntafish said:

Usually they will be gone after the New moon in  OCT. It's an awesome sight to see em drop out of the salt ponds in 2 tides along with the mullet. Bass and blues seem to know well in advance when this will happen.

Snappa blues used to do this too, back when the ponds would be full of them.

Don't see that much any more.

My son, age 13, and I had a few good tides catching shad on light tackle this year. He's too young to know he's not supposed to like "trash" fish. We had a ball. I agree they seemed big this year too. We loved all the jumps.

To be honest, we ended up settling for the shad because we kept finding the stripers to be even smaller. Not only that, to get the tiny stripers, you had to be friendly with muggers.

Better to have some elbow room.

The best part, respectable schoolies were always mixed in so we got just as many, but without the crowd and the addition of the shad jumps.

28 mins ago, borntafish said:

Interesting becuase in a different location they tend to hang out into end of OCt/ beg nov and folks are still catching them.

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....

5 mins ago, Kooky said:

Interesting becuase in a different location they tend to hang out into end of OCt/ beg nov and folks are still catching them.

Yup Im talking about the main School drop not the short bus riders

"Growing old is inevitable growing UP is optional"
"Rock and Roll never Dies it just passes out"

6 hours ago, AlwaysWading said:

Blue always been the go to color during the mullet run but they've always looked black to me.

Black and blurple were more productive this year for me, usually it’s the blue/silver color bomber/mag/sp

^^ I didnt even notice it didnt get censored, I guess anal is acceptable in SOL....