Southcoastphil

School me on mullet (fish, not hair!)

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I'm just starting to learn about the fall mullet run, so any help you can provide will be appreciated.

From what I've recently read:

• They appear to be 5-8" long, with blue to olive-ish backs and silver sides.
  • Run starts in mid-late September.  How long does it typically last?
  • One tell-tale indicator is a group of V-wakes, moving very quickly. 
    • This suggests to me that any lures that can be retrieved quickly just below the surface--needles and stubby needles, sluggos, real tins, metal lips like juniors/spin atoms, plastic swimmers like bombers or SPs--could be effective.  What do you use?
    • In the absence of V-wakes, do you use sub-surface lures?
  • Is this strictly a daytime thing?
  • Do you prefer certain tides/wind directions/moons?

What else should I know?

As always, many TIA for your help.

You're asking for secrets so I'm not gonna tell yah, redfins come in that color and wake on the surface.

Aside from that, mullet vary year to year. A good mullet run is a very good thing indeed. Some years you never see them.

Three things I like, besides they being Crack to stripers;

The bait balls when they get caught out traveling by the bass.

The way they turn and run into the rocks or onto the beach when bass find them.

The noise a big bass makes when it tried 3 times to inhale a mullet skimming across the surface.

Mullet - When you find them migrating, stop everything and text me, call me, message me, whatever you have to do.

Mullet = Large stripers

Even a hack like me can catch big fish during a mullet blitz.

MMMMMM Ive been fishing a backwater location and had a decent school of mullet come screwing by me in about an 8' channel and moments later hooked into a good 15-20lb class ranged fish that had to have been chasing them on Sunday morning before sun came up. Was slow rolling the good ol' black bomber through the current flow when she took it. #MulletLivesMatter

Edited by SouthCoastSurfFishermen

Zeno talked about mullet in one of the videos on the ************* YouTube channel. Forgot which one but it’s worth checking out. I never find smalls fishing mullet runs. Only quality fish. 

8 hours ago, borntafish said:

Well at least no one talked about the fall hickory run,,,,,,,carry on.

Still catching them left and right upwards of 22+".  Its a fun way to kill time and potentially live line for a mondo bass.

some of the shad in the last few years have been HUGE, lb for lb much better fighters then bass. A spot  i fish is usually packed with them but was a slower year for them this year, waaaaaaay more needle fish then i have ever seen before.

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

some of the shad in the last few years have been HUGE, lb for lb much better fighters then bass. A spot  i fish is usually packed with them but was a slower year for them this year, waaaaaaay more needle fish then i have ever seen before.

5 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Still catching them left and right upwards of 22+".  Its a fun way to kill time and potentially live line for a mondo bass.

Usually they will be gone after the New moon in  OCT. It's an awesome sight to see em drop out of the salt ponds in 2 tides along with the mullet. Bass and blues seem to know well in advance when this will happen.