atv223

J-Bay 2020!!

66 posts in this topic

With work and family obligations, plus a 2 hour drive to the salt, I don't get to fish nearly as much as I would like.  So the The Jamaica Bay Tournament/Jamboree, had become one of my most highly anticipated trips of the year.  When it was scratched in 2018, I was really disappointed.  Then thrilled with it coming back in 2019.  Since it was still in its fledgling stages, I've been wondering ever since if it would be on again in 2020.

A couple days ago I saw the save the date announcement on my FB feed and was ecstatic!  I know it's still a longways off but now I have something to start really planning for.  Looking forward to fishing with my club and many of you from here!

Save the date
May 15-17, 2020
Camping will be included!

Guys - Looking to get alittle help on this one. For years I have tried to make this event, just never seemed to work out. Already put this on the calendar for 2020. My question, how is camping handled? Assume bring everything you need. Bathrooms? Additionally, we (our group of three fishermen) are considering bringing a trailer, for kayaks & gear. Depending on the responses, we also would like to consider bringing our camper (trailer). Just not sure if the route allows for trailers or if the launch site allows. We would be traveling from NW of Philadelphia. If trailers are not an option, we need to explore plan B.

33 mins ago, patarpon120 said:

Guys - Looking to get alittle help on this one. For years I have tried to make this event, just never seemed to work out. Already put this on the calendar for 2020. My question, how is camping handled? Assume bring everything you need. Bathrooms? Additionally, we (our group of three fishermen) are considering bringing a trailer, for kayaks & gear. Depending on the responses, we also would like to consider bringing our camper (trailer). Just not sure if the route allows for trailers or if the launch site allows. We would be traveling from NW of Philadelphia. If trailers are not an option, we need to explore plan B.

Trailers are an options but you need to avoid the parkways.  I bring a pop up trailer and youll see other kayak/camper trailers.  The grounds have showers and port-a-potty's.  Camping is mostly on tarmac, it can get windy.

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Curious as to what kind of system ppl use to secure tents on a tarmac.  Especially when it gets windy.

Water jugs (me) ... Impact Drill and screw-in hooks (KingHong)  ... now we use the same screw-in hook's holes for the last 4-5 years :th:

3 mins ago, Africaster said:

Water jugs (me) ... Impact Drill and screw-in hooks (KingHong)  ... now we use the same screw-in hook's holes for the last 4-5 years :th:

That makes sense.  I visited Chris's store down in Cape May Courthouse last month and he was filling me in on this event.  Not sure if he's on here.  But he made it sound very interesting and something I'm looking into attending for the 1st time.  I'd be coming up solo. 

On 10/15/2019 at 10:16 AM, patarpon120 said:

as said, tarmac camping

tent can be tied down using exisiting airplane tie down points but they are quite far apart... and many of them are rusted.

the coordinators put up some porta potty around and they work.

there is shower in the facility but last year i did not get hot water, but cold shower is fine...

park is still open to public so be wary... 

We have been doing the travel trailer for perhaps four years, before I slept  in a  suburban. You are not supposed to drive The Parkways but it cuts off huge time  and bother, and there are a bunch of us that make the short run on it, beings out of state perhaps could plead ignorance and there are no signs saying Jack get off the road. First year with the camper we went through town, that sucked big time and was dangerous. The big thing I see on the parkway section are the bridges across road are low with ten foot clearence in right lane, we get in the middle lane. Most people  don’t get official camp sites you park on a huge runway tarmac and only use the porta potties , showers we don’t need no stinking showers! You need  to come to J-Bay it is a great time, and fishing is great.
If plan B involves tents be prepared for high winds , I met one of my best buds while laying on his tent trying to keep it from blowing away, and when his kayak blew off his truck into my camper it was  all good! We saw my camper A/C cover blow away there, saw many tents high up in the trees , porta potties sliding along the tarmac and tipping over, and lost my awning there last year( it was old)......Jack

Patarpon, we run to J-Bay from Allentown, Pa. area, depending on time and day you could make  the run with us. No matter what King Hong says I am a nice guy, and having another travel trailer behind me on the parkway with police in pursuit might be a good idea!.......Jack

I sleep in my 4Runner.  As others have said, high winds and rain with run off on the tarmac are a mess for tent campers.  Baby wipes can get you by without a shower for a few days and bluefish slime is generally a good cover scent!