genavorn

St Croix Changing Legend Surf Rods - No more Torzite Guides

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

My friend accidentally broke his St Croix Legend surf rod top part .He called for replacement expecting that they going to send him top part and he is going to send them broken piece in same box of course with require payment .Lady was very pleasant , but there is a few changes  she said :

1. You have to send it whole rod not just top part. (People take advantage of our exchange program) ...

2.New Legend Surf rods  not going to have a Torzite guides . (Too expensive) 

3.We don't have any top parts until end of November . We will have them eventually $90 dollar a piece.Not sure what guides they would have.

I would have question for them : When price for St.Croix Legend went up to $600 and more they said it's because of the new guides. What is going to happen with a price on  new rods with cheaper guides?

They should also update their exchange rules (on their page) .

They discontinued their Salmon Rods EES series - their answer Too expensive ... Was amazing blank for back bays

I used their rods because of their  exchange program and also top quality components . Protecting my investment .... $620 one rod $500 another 

Now What ?

I am out of their games...

First generation guides were fine.  Mine is going on 10+ years with no issues.  Sounds like they took a gamble with higher end components and price. I would assume lack of sales at that price they decided to make a change. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

They current model still uses titanium, just not torzite. There’s not a huge difference between Ti and Ti/torz. Costs always go up so the slight savings on the guides could certainly be lost to rising overall costs so it just nets out to 0. 

I don’t think st croix is playing games here at all. 

Edited by Drew C.

The newer Legends have the cheaper Sic rings but still use the same Titanium frame.

SHAME on St Croix of they replace broken Legends with Torzite rings with the Legends they make now with the cheaper Sic rings! That's not only bad business but STEALING is what it is! I have 3 Legends and I'll be pissed if they pull that on me. :scream:

Edited by night owl

if i paid 600 for a rod and the top broke i would expect the guides to be swapped out with the same quality guides unless due to supply issues it cannot be replaced on an updated top....agree with hydraman it's just a sucky business decision...they should at least send him some swag or a freshwater blank or some other type of compensation...its stuff like this that makes me refuse to pay 600 for a rod...

8 hours ago, genavorn said:

My friend accidentally broke his St Croix Legend surf rod top part .He called for replacement expecting that they going to send him top part and he is going to send them broken piece in same box of course with require payment .Lady was very pleasant , but there is a few changes  she said :

1. You have to send it whole rod not just top part. (People take advantage of our exchange program) ...

2.New Legend Surf rods  not going to have a Torzite guides . (Too expensive) 

3.We don't have any top parts until end of November . We will have them eventually $90 dollar a piece.Not sure what guides they would have.

I would have question for them : When price for St.Croix Legend went up to $600 and more they said it's because of the new guides. What is going to happen with a price on  new rods with cheaper guides?

They should also update their exchange rules (on their page) .

They discontinued their Salmon Rods EES series - their answer Too expensive ... Was amazing blank for back bays

I used their rods because of their  exchange program and also top quality components . Protecting my investment .... $620 one rod $500 another 

Now What ?

I am out of their games...

I don’t understand your point regarding sending the whole rods. Everyone can call in and order the top part and they will ship it to you. Sometimes you have to wait a little if it’s not in stock. The price of the top part of the Legend Surf is running about $90 shipped.

i am also confuse by your statements regarding the exchange program. He owns the highest end rod so what would he likes to exchange? The exchange program is about exchanging. Low end rod with higher end rod. 

Show me another company that will sell you the top section with titanium frames of high end rod shipped for $90 .

Your friend and yourself should appreciate the StCroix service . No other company will charge you $90 to replace the top part that you broke accidentally.

Edited by levari

St. Croix changes guide manufacturers more than any other.  I am sure its cost but quality a d durability too.  I had the ALPS guides and for me it was the worst guides I have ever owned. Fragile and delicate. I have not tried Torzite yet.  So far SIC and Alconite have worked for me.