dena

Just a P. S. A.

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Just a public service announcement telling you that if you have solar panels installed on your roof, pay the extra dough up front, and get the battery and inverter systems installed too.

Californians are discovering that their solar panels are useless once the electric company shuts down the grid.

All new home builds in that state will come with new solar panels installed, but no battery system to store the juice they generate, or the system to convert the battery DC electricity to household AC.

Is it good policy to mandate a half assed green energy system on all new home builds?

Why not mandate the whole system, effectively removing that home from the grid load, except on cloudy days?

I mean, if you are going to mandate stuff, why not mandate that the stuff you mandate works?

5 mins ago, dena said:

Just a public service announcement telling you that if you have solar panels installed on your roof, pay the extra dough up front, and get the battery and inverter systems installed too.

Californians are discovering that their solar panels are useless once the electric company shuts down the grid.

All new home builds in that state will come with new solar panels installed, but no battery system to store the juice they generate, or the system to convert the battery DC electricity to household AC.

Is it good policy to mandate a half assed green energy system on all new home builds?

Why not mandate the whole system, effectively removing that home from the grid load, except on cloudy days?

I mean, if you are going to mandate stuff, why not mandate that the stuff you mandate works?

That was the thing when we were looking at installing solar, found out system is shut down when power goes off. If one of the reasons you look at solar is because you are afraid of losing power during a storm you are almost better off just installing the batteries they can last 3-4 days

And yes they should mandate battery and inverter for all new construction.

3 mins ago, Jay Dog said:

That was the thing when we were looking at installing solar, found out system is shut down when power goes off. If one of the reasons you look at solar is because you are afraid of losing power during a storm you are almost better off just installing the batteries they can last 3-4 days

It just seems dumb to me to have the solar system, but is reliant on the grid.

I do not know how much the storage/inverter system adds to the cost, but it would be money well spent, if you are going that way.

6 hours ago, dena said:

I do not know how much the storage/inverter system adds to the cost, but it would be money well spent, if you are going that way.

Yeah looks like 15k for a battery pack for a 2500sq home. That allows you to use battery at night so it also further reduces your electric cost

What a bunch of whiny cry babies. The main advantage to solar is to save money especially after the pay out. To reduce carbon foot print and did I mention save money. So if once in a blue moon the power goes out you are without power with or without solar. Like I said whiny cry babies.  :waah:

90% of the residential solar is just for billing credits.   Been that way for awhile.

Ps...I completely made up that 90%...but I bet it's close.

Edited by scoobydoo

Big issues around that in the state of Hawaii right now. Utilities want to charge people who are off the grid if they are still hooked up to the utilities just in case of a self-generating  failure.

46 mins ago, Stonesipher said:

What a bunch of whiny cry babies. The main advantage to solar is to save money especially after the pay out. To reduce carbon foot print and did I mention save money. So if once in a blue moon the power goes out you are without power with or without solar. Like I said whiny cry babies.  :waah:

I have a genny and I will sit in air conditioned comfort.

10 hours ago, dena said:

Inverters are required for "regular" installation with or without battery. Solar panels produce dc power. 

The solar system gets turned off automatically when the power goes out to protect the crews working on the lines from solar backfeeding power. 

PSE&G is now offering mega credits, rebates and subsidies for battery installation in Long Island. However, it comes with a catch: they can draw from your battery at night. So if you're thinking about backup power, it might not work out the way you planned. If you go for it, your total out of pocket could be as low as $3k for a typical battery setup. The new Tesla batteries cost about $14k before rebates. 

Edited by Fishy Fisher

On 10/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, Jay Dog said:

-

Our plan is solar to heat the pool and a propane generator for the whole house, we already have a pretty big propane tank buried in our front yard.