albacized

Good, bad and ugly of multi day storm

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I had scheduled these past two days (thur and fri) off from work a month ago with the hopes of finding some albies...I almost cancelled the days off after reading the weather forecast, but opted to see if fishing this storm could pay off - opted to try a sheltered southside location. Right off the bat, I'll report that I only had two fleeting early morning shots at albies while fishing all day Thursday, and saw no signs of them on Friday. The difference between the two days was the insane amount of bass and blues that were available on Thursday, while the same body of water had almost no life on Friday. I probably landed in excess of 50 bass (from small schoolies to fish that weren't that far short of being keepers) as well as a half dozen blues (and a number of bit in half albie snax)...On Friday, I caught one single false dawn schoolie, then no other hits. The entire area was crazy with schools of fish in all directions on Thursday - and besides the two shots of albies I had close by, I had seen them out or range about another half dozen times. On Friday, there was one single small school of bass along a non-accessible piece of shore line that never moved from that spot, and nothing else. Also, yesterday was by far the worse of the two days weather-wise. 

I've been reading in other threads (particularly in the RI forum) about storm surges...and to that point, some points where I typically and comfortably fish from rocks were under water. However, I also noticed that it was at or near a full moon, and this place does occasionally experience these water heights during certain full and new moon tides...so I wonder if some have mistaken one possible cause with another (???)

The good news was that the winds and strong tides had no effect on the amount of bait available...insane amount of peanut bunker, juvenile herring and silversides...so the table is still set...if this storm just temporarily shut down the bite, some great fishing could still be forthcoming 

Edited by albacized

Trout fishing has been great for the most part except yesterday was the slowest.All bass yesterday.Big pond and far away from any landing.Nobody around for 4 days.Oh! and a big water snake swimming next to me.

I like the front side of storms in the fall. When the water is highly charged with oxygem, full of bait, and the water clarity isn't too bad yet. Seems fish put on the feedbag in these circumstances. Couple reasons, maybe:

1) they're built for the whitewater while bait is struggling to get by. Makes for advantageous predation.

2) Brain the size of a pea.. but perhaps they still "know" that due to the oncoming storm, water quality will soon be poor for feeding, and they may have to go without for a few days.

But once the chocolate milk comes on, more often than not I've found the bite over and fish depart the scene for a few days. So it always pays to get out for the frontside of a storm.

I agree, front side of storms can be super productive. 
The bass do feed in weedy water. You just can’t catch them. I’ve been frustrated many times seeing bass feeding in the weeds along the shoreline.
Unless you land your plug right on top of the fish you will catch only weeds. One cast and 5 minutes of cleaning your line just ain’t worth it. 

Its odd not seeing heavy SW wind after a storm passes. I realize its a coastal storm but still. I just hope to find some action from RI to Fishers if I have too.