Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
salt deficient

Basic kayak drift or anchor fishing

5 posts in this topic

Tomorrow will be my 1st time out in a RI bay, weather permitting....  Judith point.....

Any basic daylight hour strategies?   Was thinking fluke setup, like a smaller bucktail with a squid strip and a berkley gulp.

IF it was like last year there, there was anchovies and small bait on the edges of current.  Got some small slugo's to try out in pink.  

If I can approach the rocks past the inlet inside the seawall safely, will try some careful anchoring for tog with green crab as bait......

Not picky on species.  Just want to have a good time trying out my new kayaks.......   Fluke or sea bass would be fine.  Alot of this bay area isn't too deep on the map tons of 3-5ft deep areas.  A few bridges, and a main channel to the marinas towards the back.  A few smaller drainage flow areas I can intercept when the tide is moving.....

Also, bringing my spare fishfinder.  Forgot the exact model, but usual hummingbird dual beam.  No batteries or mount for it yet.  Gonna cut a chunk of wood and make a temporary mount.  Will get a garden tractor battery because the lawn mower is overdue for a new one.......   Got a helix 7 G2 for the tinboat, but want to buy a second transduscer for it for the kayak..........

Edited by salt deficient

Wonderful fishery there ... do you have any experience with the area? The sea walls are not the place I’d recommend to a newbie on an unknown yak. Caught Tog using epoxy jigs off Block a few weeks ago whilst targeting BSB - might have been fluke though ( ;) ) .Good luck and err on the side of caution :th: 

Been there lat columbus day weekend.   georges of galilee webcam looks too choppy for the seawall section on a new craft, even my deep v tin boat.....

Not sure what the backbays will offer.  That is what I am asking about.  Not a spot burn just what to do on 3-5ft tidal areas this time of year.  Will likely anchor up near a small bridge and cast the heck out of it with jigs.   Maybe wait n bait with if the kayaks hold steady.

I'm staying there this weekend , opposite Ram island area. Just came in off the water after a 4hr not fishing paddle with the wife . It our anniversary annual trip so no

fishing. Saw lots of small bait (1.2-2") in back bays and a couple of keeper size bass on them. Water is very clear so was able tô spot a few bass in 3-5' of water. 

Thanks connman,

Saw a big seal by the small inlet inside the seawall today.  Just got done putting the kayaks together, chili with a rum n coke at fisherman's park campground right now.

No hits after 2 hours on the inlet from slack to incoming in the late afternoon.  Hi lo rigs hoping for tog....  no luck.  Didn't have crabs, tried shrimp n squid.  Bait shop was closed early.