Frank5

K Guides (Stainless vs. Titanium)

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Can folks with building and experience weigh in on this for me. 

A builder I’ve used before had an opinion regarding that Stainless was generally more durable than Titanium frame guides. 

Something along the lines of titanium ones being more prone to bending and breaking. 

Is this a rational and valid factor? 

I take care of my stuff and hose my rods down thoroughly after each outing so rust is not the main concern for me. 

I wouldn’t mind a little extra lightness in weight i recovery crispness and sensitivity on the rod but won’t do it at the expense of a significant durability/reliability downgrade. 

Price is not a concern for this so please weigh in with your thoughts?

Titanium is a little more flexible vs stainless. If there is a problem you can bend them back but sooner or later they can break. 

That being said I have them on many rods and have no problems at all. The only damage that has happened to me is a minor bend while transporting the rods. Actual fishing, no problems. I try to watch what I'm doing with my stuff but definitely bang them around. If you're a gorilla with tackle, maybe then you'll have some issues.

2 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Titanium is a little more flexible vs stainless. If there is a problem you can bend them back but sooner or later they can break. 

That being said I have them on many rods and have no problems at all. The only damage that has happened to me is a minor bend while transporting the rods.

Same thoughts.  Over many years I've had a couple of runners (TLSG and TKTSG) bend during handling or transport.  Not from fishing.  The only guide I've broken was an American Tackle Titan A frame and it broke when I bent it back as Drew said.

I've had Titanium Fuji's break: 1 of the TATSG and a few TLDBSG's. 100% of the time it was transport as I grab 10 rods in a pile and jam them into a car, then throw them into a corner in a jumbled mess.

If you are going to use TKW's, there is absolutely no worry of them breaking. IF you are going to use single foots, the only concern you shoudl have is on single foot running guides, but even at that there is probably a .00005% breakage rate on them. Build teh rod the way you want with Titanium guides.

Edited by Billy 40

I'm walking around with a pocket of change.

This is a personal preference.

Tell a rod builder to take nine guides and weigh them on

a gram scale and give you the average from titanium

and stainless steel. What's the difference? Carbide and

Alconite rings. What's the difference? ;)

Yes the lighter titanium guides are brittle compared

to the stainless steel guides. I have both.

Edited by SandSpike1

Personally (which means I am not prepared to back this up with Fuji specs or science), I do not see a difference in the durability of Titanium and Stainless. Both break when you (emphasis on YOU) make a mistake. Titanium's premium price is not about durability, it's about the absolutely noticeable difference it makes in the blank in terms of liveliness and crispiness and snappiness and sensitvitiness. AND the fact that I can forget to rinse and not worry about ANY corrosion - ever. There seems to be some unwritten rule that something as expensive as Titanium should come with a lifetime durability warranty. That extra money does not buy additional durability. It buys comparable durability and a list of extra goodies that are worth every penny. IMO.

15 mins ago, Croaker JO said:

Personally (which means I am not prepared to back this up with Fuji specs or science), I do not see a difference in the durability of Titanium and Stainless. Both break when you (emphasis on YOU) make a mistake. Titanium's premium price is not about durability, it's about the absolutely noticeable difference it makes in the blank in terms of liveliness and crispiness and snappiness and sensitvitiness. AND the fact that I can forget to rinse and not worry about ANY corrosion - ever. There seems to be some unwritten rule that something as expensive as Titanium should come with a lifetime durability warranty. That extra money does not buy additional durability. It buys comparable durability and a list of extra goodies that are worth every penny. IMO.

Absolutely agree. I have ti on a lot of rods with no issues. Well worth it.