mtl50

Electric trolling motor size?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am putting an electric trolling motor on my 14' lund. Boat and motor weighs about 425lbs. Looking for advice on how many lbs thrust I should get. Thanks in advance for your help. 

Tight Lines 

Mike 

31 mins ago, mtl50 said:

I am putting an electric trolling motor on my 14' lund. Boat and motor weighs about 425lbs. Looking for advice on how many lbs thrust I should get. Thanks in advance for your help. 

Tight Lines 

Mike 

General rule of thumb is you need 2 lbs of thrust for every 100 lbs.

personal preference but on a reservoir rig i personally like 55 just to zip around a little quicker since most of my spots here in MD require electric motors only 

30 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

General rule of thumb is you need 2 lbs of thrust for every 100 lbs.

That being said I have a 50 lb thrust motor on my 10' Pelican Bass Raider, and that's only 145 lbs. :rav: 

The bigger the motor you got in the faster you go the quicker you're going to drain your battery or batteries that said much smaller than a 50 lb thrust and you may not be able to fight the wind getting back

11 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

The biggest you can afford and fit!  They are all slow so bigger is always better especially if you are gonna fish electric only spots 

Bigger eats battery capacity faster too.

If you are going for a bow mount a 45 will work just fine if a transom i would recommend the same. Also, remember to charge your batts at the end of the day. Don't put it off till later as it will shorten the life and eventually not take as much of a charge

Get a 24V troller and two size 30 batteries. Sure it's more expensive and will take up more room but you will have a powerful motor (for an electric motor) that will last all day if you keep the batteries properly charged.

Got a 55lb on my tracker deep v 16ft.  Basic tin boat with 20hp outboard.

Endura max.  2 ways to make speed, add resistance or pulse fire.  Pulse fire makes a battery last longer at reduced loads...

Got a homemade transom mount adapter up front.

Boat goes in electric only spots,  otherwise I'd be tempted to get a 45 or 50lb.

13 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

Bigger eats battery capacity faster too.

Bigger motor with appropriate battery.  I fish elec only places so the extra power is welcome when trying to go 3 miles down a lake 

On 10/12/2019 at 2:20 PM, Ditchbag said:

The bigger the motor you got in the faster you go the quicker you're going to drain your battery or batteries that said much smaller than a 50 lb thrust and you may not be able to fight the wind getting back

I should have stated that I have a 20 hp Mariner electric start. Using the trolling motor to position mostly. 

On 10/13/2019 at 11:45 AM, cweed said:

55# thrust with two 30 batteries hooked up so u can switch batteries if necessary. This eleminates the need for a transom kicker in the back

I should have stated that I have a 20 hp Mariner electric start. Using the trolling motor to position mostly. 

4 hours ago, mtl50 said:

Then I'd go with a 45 -55 lb thrust 12V and single battery.  Tie the battery in to the charging system.  Minn Kota sells isolators for this.

You still use a separate starter battery which I also use to power electronics.