Bow390

Before, during or after storm?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

If a nor’easter is coming in like the one passing by now and you were limited to only fishing once, would you chose right before the storm, in the middle of it or after?

Given an opportunity to only fish once as you stated before the storm would be my answer. During the storm will be hampered by your ability to fish under the heightened conditions as well as increasing sweep, weed and debris. Actually landing decent fish becomes virtually impossible. After the storm the water is usually still dirty for several tide changes. My opinion based on my own past results would be before, during and after in that order. 

Edited by SC

2 hours ago, LIsurf631 said:

Caught this slob during the storm heavy wind at my back in the surf but the sweep wasn’t bad. 1 oz bucktail

261BDDF7-9E84-4588-8B1C-BF9313963BCC.jpeg

Nice Fish, Congratulations.

Lou T

think either before during or after storm..... to be honest with you this time of year Fisher going to be gorging on food and their migration so I don't really think that really matters got to be in the right place at the right time

Before and into the beginning of a storm is usually the right time in my experience. Sticking it out as the weather really starts to pick up can yield some serious results. But then at a certain point it gets to be too much and you will struggle to stay in contact with your plug/jig. You'll also have a ton of weed to deal with. As others have said, the churning that happens during the storm can mess up the fishing for a couple days after so that would be definitely not the time to fish. 

That's what I'm debating right now myself! Should I drive 3+ hours in traffic right now only to fish churned up water? It's tough to decide, but I'll probably head out and hope by tomorrow we have some cleaner water around.