Zandaos

Identifying
Can anyone tell me what fish this is? Found in Biddeford pool.

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could help me identifying these things. I was thinking that they were bait for something else  or a baby sunfish or something. My uncle says it looks like a cunner but I don't see it. The water was very rough today so they could have been brought up from further out in the ocean. They are very small, no longer than 2 inches in both length and width. Thank you for your help.

20191011_163625.jpg

20191011_175326.jpg

17 hours ago, Tlacey21walden said:

lookdown fish

X3. More of a tropical fish that gets carried north during the summer and dies when the water gets cold.

23 hours ago, Ted Pietz said:

The Gulf of Maine is warming faster than any body of water on earth. This is just more proof of that.

From Wikipedia

In the western Atlantic, the lookdown is found from Canada[6] and Maine south to Uruguay,[7] including Bermuda and the Gulf of Mexico.[4] Although it is common in tropical Atlantic waters, it is rarely seen in the Greater Antilles.[7]

The lookdown is found in marine and brackishwaters at depths of 1 to 53 meters.[2] It lives in shallow water near the coast, along hard or sandybottoms.[3] Juveniles may be seen in estuaries[4] or near sandy beaches.[8] The lookdown often shoals, but it may also break away into smaller groups or pairs.[9]

i agree the waters in Maine are warming I wouldn’t use this fish to make that agreement 

Thanks for the update. This is what I found in my McClane's Standard Fishing Encyclopedia  Wikipedia is probably more up to date. In this past decade more and more southern species are showing up in Maine waters which looks to be a trend. Sorry about the margins.

Thanks again,

Ted

Scan_20191014.png

The gulf stream that enters the maine gulf is not a fixed object, it does not resemble a creek or river. it does not flow in fixed motion.  In fact if the warm gulf stream resembles anything it resembles a DNA strand that twists and turns left and right and up and down the water column. It does not run north south at times ican be east west for hundreds of miles only to do a 180degree then turn down sharply only to rise later. So you will find warm temperatures here and there and cooler ones else where. Its un-predictable according to a key note speech I attended at woods hole oceanographic institute less than year ago, specifically about such claims....the warming of the gulf over a years time might fluctuate 1/10th of degree to a whole degree only to be followed by cooler temps  the following year, month or week etc  These subtle temp changes is not enough to attract species of fish.  These fish often get caught in the current of the gulf stream. Much like the movie Nemo with the turtles. its happens to birds with big storms, it can happen to fish.

I catch Look-downs in the keys. They hold on structure.

Found around the pillars from the bridges. There hits

are very subtle. They get bigger than a porgy and they

pull good and hard. Supposedly good to eat. They're

a so called panfish. Good for a fish fry. :)