LockedDrag

Confidence Lure

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/11/2019 at 4:03 PM, LockedDrag said:

What is your #1 confidence lure? 

I have a lot of determining factors for choice.

Bluefish from a beach? a bone superstrike popper and a kastmaster almost always finds bluefish if they are there.

Stripers at an ouflow? At night, a bone SP minnow.

Stripers at night on a sandeel beach? a chicken scratch Bomber.

Stripers at night at the canal. I alternate between jigging a sluggo on the bottom and throwing a lure like a SP minnow or Bomber. If stripers are there and feeding, I can usually find them with those two lures.

Stripers during the day at the canal? A savage sand eel in bone, or green mac if macs are around, or a bone superstrike popper.

That's where I start. I break out other lures or change the color of lures depending on the prevalent bait  and fishing conditions  of an outing.

Edited by zak-striper

Kayak - jointed xrap, bunker

Surf - rubber shad, pearl; SP minnow, laser shiner

Picked up a few mag darters recently and have gotten some action w/ them. Would love to figure this one out - casts real well. 

5 hours ago, LoneCaster said:

Smiling bill bucktail (hot lips). Has to be this bucktail can’t use any other lol. 

Caught my first bass on a buck tail:):)

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:56 PM, Blank Disc said:

Image result for tsunami holographic sand eel internally weighted

Caught 40 fish on this last night. Some dinks, but majority were near-keepers and keeper fish. It was unreal. Luckily I stocked up. Had people casting like maniacs all around me and no one else could hook up except one guy who caught one. 

How were you fishing those?   Swimming them with a steady retrieve?  Bouncing them off the bottom?

4 hours ago, EOS said:

How were you fishing those?   Swimming them with a steady retrieve?  Bouncing them off the bottom?

Open beach: slow straight retrieve near bottom. make sure you have the right weight. 

Heavy current: cast straight out and let "drift"  and then reel slowly in along the rocks and feel the tail wiggle. 

Fish very slow and as deep as you can. Don't drag bottom, occasional bounce is OK, if you are making too much contact with bottom all the hits will be on the teaser (in my experience). 

This is my favorite lure by far. Has eely-ness, casts well and paddle tail is better than straight tail (IMO). Internal weighting and 3 sizes makes it pretty versatile. Pretty tough unless there are blues around. The ones I lose are to the bottom not to them getting ripped up (unless blues are around, then use something else). 

Sometimes I super glue the eyes on, they will fall off. Crush the barbs. 

6 hours ago, afterhours said:

8" white/pearl sinking needle. Can fished deep, on surface, or any water column in between and casts really really far :).

nice:)