LockedDrag

Confidence Lure

Rate this topic

79 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Slowwwride said:

Day: SP in bone or white bucktail commensurate with the conditions and a trailer like otter tails etc

Night: black darter; sluggo

Night Sluggo 3am:):)

I Love threads like these because I read the names of every plug I have in my damn bag that never catches !!! My top producers are a bone jumpin minnow, white seven inch sluggo and a cheap creek chub popper ( that has caught more fish over the years than all my other plugs combined ) !  I think it's because I fish very shallow water that's crystal clear all the time. Crazy thing is, it still doesn't stop me from buying / making 374 plugs every season !!!  :laugh:

11 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I don't have a confidence lure,,I just have confidence in me.

knowing what to do and how to do it is what the technique is.

the color you mention has been a good one for me too in various other lures.

make sure you fish other lures so your "book" of lures and technique grows wide.

best skill to you out there!

HH

I’ve finally scratched bucktail and metal lips off my list the past year. Love the now. Would love to add a needlefish eventually. No confidence in the SS needle though. Feels like it sinks too fast. 

34 mins ago, Mandoborg said:

I Love threads like these because I read the names of every plug I have in my damn bag that never catches !!! My top producers are a bone jumpin minnow, white seven inch sluggo and a cheap creek chub popper ( that has caught more fish over the years than all my other plugs combined ) !  I think it's because I fish very shallow water that's crystal clear all the time. Crazy thing is, it still doesn't stop me from buying / making 374 plugs every season !!!  :laugh:

Mandoborg you even have a lure as your profile pic:):)

8 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Just fish when you know the fish are there. Bass/ blues will usually take a swipe at anything if they are feeding. You can just refine after that based on conditions,  current and primary forage. My confidence plug changes constantly based on the prevalent bait and the area/ depth I am fishing. 

So if you were going to fish the surf, every wednesday (or any random day) for the next month and you could only take one lure, what would it be?

If i had to leave the house in Pa with only one lure to fish the entire day / night it would be a chicken scratch SP minnow.

*if there was a crazy nor'easter with big waves and high winds I'd probably take a bucktail.

14 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

So if you were going to fish the surf, every wednesday (or any random day) for the next month and you could only take one lure, what would it be?

5" mambo in smokey Joe. Or a bomber.

12 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I have never hooked a fish on any mar darter.  Must be me cause i know they work for the rest of the world lol

Really I have hammer fish on them at night reeling incredibly slow

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 mins ago, LIsurf631 said:

Really I have hammer fish on them at night reeling incredibly slow

I think i probably did not give them an honest try in a spot where there were fish.  Most of the time it was areas where nothing worked so the mag darter got switched out.  Then when i found the fish i stayed with what was working.

Edited by Captain Ahab

Bucktail.

On any coast, for any fish with a mouth big enough to take the lure in.  

The same 3/4 oz yellow bucktail that starts my season with weakfish accounts for most of my summer mahi and closes things out in November with bass.  And catches a lot of other things along the way.  

Outside of other colors and sizes of bucktails chosen to suit particular conditions, I use many other things ranging from flies to spreader bars.  But bucktails are what I trust most.

1 min ago, CWitek said:

Bucktail.

On any coast, for any fish with a mouth big enough to take the lure in.  

The same 3/4 oz yellow bucktail that starts my season with weakfish accounts for most of my summer mahi and closes things out in November with bass.  And catches a lot of other things along the way.  

Outside of other colors and sizes of bucktails chosen to suit particular conditions, I use many other things ranging from flies to spreader bars.  But bucktails are what I trust most.

Me too.  I carry plugs but they are rarely used.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rubber shad on a 3/4 oz jighead, Chicken Scratch SP Minnow. That or a MagDarter. The magdarters took me by surprise when I learned how to REALLY use them. Top 3 by far.

Edited by ThrowinPlugs