Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 12 - Oct 19

Rate this topic

114 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This could benefit those you use the RI forum frequently.

The premise is to gather together all reports into one common portal, making it for easy access, reporting, and reference in one place. 

This is the second year trying this approach to this type of journal. Last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you to post your success or skunks.   Either way let us know. It all helps us be directed to better fishing conditions. 

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel we have for a better successful fishing in the future.   

Keep those reports coming regardless of good or bad. We'd like to hear. 

High seas, strong winds, rain the last few day and the next few days have really impacted fishing.

Lots of coffee stained water around, especially along the sandy shores of Watch Hill east to Carpenter's Beach.

The coast is taking a beating. Watch for some new troughs, erosion, shifting sands.   

IMG_0634.JPG

much better schoolie bite in the middle bay this afternoon /larger,fat fish ………….looks like the twinkie blues 7 scup may have moved down >><

good bite this late afternoon in the upper bay …..schoolies  are larger than last week ……… all  23 -26"  fat ……… happy to see that the twinkie  blues & Scup moved down

1011191425a_HDR (002).jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

A little hairy out there if you're trying to drive out front.  Ended up turning around since the waves were traveling up to the dunes.

Birds working the surface but no fish for me.  Time to go to work now...

GOPR4894.MP4

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Hopefully it calms down.  Gonna try to Launch the boat in the AM.  Thinking of Barn Island but may just launch in the Bay in RI. 

Mid-bay; water 90% clear, no weed to speak of.  Birds working, some surface activity, 1-1/2 casts out.  I only had a few minutes before I had to pick up kids, nothing caught.

Soco: slightly weedy, 25% clear.  fished boulderfield and open beach on incoming tide.  surf varies from 3-5' to 1-2' depending on where you are.  Biirds working 2+ full casts out, numerous boats searching but nothing that I could see caught.  no fish no bait to shore in the spots we checked.  Word-of-mouth from passing fishermen says that there was blitzing down in Westerly (as close to a spot-burn as I'll get), but I sure didn't see any of it.

1 hour ago, fishinbill said:

Not SoCo, but I was on the shore in Little Compton. The water was murky, but not too bad. I’m hoping to go out tomorrow (Sunday) morning. 

40 mins ago, rolm said:

Mid-bay; water 90% clear, no weed to speak of.  Birds working, some surface activity, 1-1/2 casts out.  I only had a few minutes before I had to pick up kids, nothing caught.

Soco: slightly weedy, 25% clear.  fished boulderfield and open beach on incoming tide.  surf varies from 3-5' to 1-2' depending on where you are.  Biirds working 2+ full casts out, numerous boats searching but nothing that I could see caught.  no fish no bait to shore in the spots we checked.  Word-of-mouth from passing fishermen says that there was blitzing down in Westerly (as close to a spot-burn as I'll get), but I sure didn't see any of it.

Thanks guys, appreciate the report!

Found larger fish this past week during the storm, Tuesday night 5 fish over 20# and one over 30#, Thursday slower, but one fish 35# amongst all of the school bass. Very fortunate to find these quality fish this year. C

18 hours ago, westhavendave said:

Found larger fish this past week during the storm, Tuesday night 5 fish over 20# and one over 30#, Thursday slower, but one fish 35# amongst all of the school bass. Very fortunate to find these quality fish this year. C

Great Job, you definitely put the work in

all season, glad it payed off! That’s as good as it gets from the mainland! 

Mid-bay yesterday; kayak trolled around for a couple of hours solo.  Worked two specific pieces of structure, the rest just scouting.  No birds working, one keeper-size fish caught at a spot we usually catch at.  Water is back to as clear as it gets.

Later returned to the same area to fish from shore at dusk.  Again, no birds working and no surface activity observed.  There were a few schools of bait in the area.  My son caught one one small bass on a popper.

No real fishing trips. Right now we're fitting short outings between doing other things. 

one schoolie for me last nite from shore, lower bay. no wind and bright moon didnt help, but surf was clean and fishable.